Chapter 23

"I so did not miss this weather!" Abril yelled to no one in particular as she climbed down the stairs of the plane.

The humidity was making her sticky, and it was suffocating, but it was nothing new for her having lived on the island for 18 years of her life.

"It's so hot." Junior mumbled, burying his head in Cristiano's chest.

Cristiano got off the plane and put Junior on the floor as Abril waited for a man to get their bags.

When they got them, they did customs and went to the parking lot of the small airport. Thank god they did not land in the international airport because they would have been swarmed by paparazzi. It's not everyday Cristiano Ronaldo is in Puerto Rico.

"Abril!" A nasal voice called.

Abril looked around and there was her stepmother, Camille Soto, with Abril's baby half sister Georgina in her arms. The 35 year old woman looked the same as she last saw her two years ago. Her blonde straight hair was styled into a slick ponytail, her green eyes were covered in a pair of Prada sunglasses, and she was dressed in a BCBG dress with Ives Saint Laurent heels.

It's not that Abril hated Camille, it was just that she thought of her as a gold digger. She married her father at 25 when he was 41. And Camille was also from a poor family so she basically went from rags to bags.

Abril's father, Raymond Delano, stood next to Camille. He smiled brightly at the sight of his daughter. But even though his smile was bright, it did not outshine the sun reflecting from his bald head.

Abril walked directly to her family and hugged them tightly. She picked up Georgina from Camille's arms and kissed her head gently.

"Dad, it's so good to see you again! You too Camille." She said, handing the 6 month old baby back to Camille.

"It's been too long, Abril. You need to come visit more often."

"Yeah." Abril paused before realizing she had not introduced Cristiano to her family. "Oh! This is my boyfriend-"

"Cristian Rolando, right?" Raymond asked.

She groaned and blushed. Her father had always said his name like that, and, no matter how many times she corrected him, he kept saying the same exact thing. Abril remembers them watching a Derby Madrileño together and her father asks her where Cristian Rolando was and when was he going to score a goal.

Cristiano, luckily, just laughed and shook his hand, "It's Cristiano Ronaldo, sir. And it's very nice to meet you." He then proceeded to greet Camille with a kiss on the cheek, "And you too."

"And this is his son, Cristiano Junior. But we call him Junior," Abril said gently pulling the young boy by his hand. They greeted him.

"Oh, you must be melting." Camille said, noticing Abril had a cardigan on and Cristiano jeans. "Let me call Edward to bring the cars around."

Camille pulled out her phone and walked away from them.

"So, dad, where's Julio?"

Julio was Abril's brother. He lived in Seattle, but promised Abril he'd come to Puerto Rico when she visited. Besides, he also hadn't seen his family in quite a while.

"He's with your mother," Raymond said.

"Oh."

"I forgot to mention it, but we have a party tomorrow night at your grandfather's house. The whole family is invited so I would like it if you'd come."

"Um- Is that okay with you, babe?" Abril asked Cristiano.

"Yes, sure."

"Great! I'll tell your grandfather that you'll be there." Raymond said.

Camille came back when the black BMW X5 van pulled in front of them. "You guys can take this car, we'll be in the other car." She said pointing to the red Mercedes behind the BMW.

"So I guess we'll see you tomorrow then." Abril said as Raymond placed Georgina in the car seat.

"Yes, tomorrow at 7:30 and don't be late!"

"We won't."

As they got on the highway, Cristiano stayed quite for a few moments until he finally bursted, "I didn't know you were rich."

"I'm not. My family is." Abril quickly corrected him.

"Same thing. But you grew up with all this?"

"Yes."

"So you had a chauffeur, BMW's, and designer clothing since you were a baby?"

"Yes."

"Was this why you were hiding your family this whole time?"

"Yes."

"But why?"

"Why do you think I hide them? Why do you think I don't tell almost anyone that my family is one of the richest in Puerto Rico? Because I'm not like them. I mean, growing up I tried to be like them. I dressed in designer clothes and acted all posh and classy. But it was all to keep up appearances.

"I was in the most prestigious school and every girl had a Michael Kors when they were 12. I was never happy though. Even though I fit in with the material things, I didn't fit in emotionally. So I left at 18 to go to John Hopkins, and never came back. I just come to visit once every few years." She said, looking at Cristiano.

"Why didn't you tell me? I thought your family was full of drug dealers or something."

Abril chuckled, "No, they're not. Although I wouldn't be surprised if my cousin, Roberto, was." She paused and laid her head on his shoulder. "I didn't tell you because I didn't want you to think of me differently."

"What do you mean?"

"I didn't want you to think I'm a rich girl who gets everything she wants just because of her last name."

"I would have never thought of that." He said.

"Everyone in Puerto Rico thinks that, though."

"Screw them! They don't know you. Besides, I know that you are a woman with a good heart who works for what she has."

"Thanks." She mumbled, feeling her eyelids droop.

"You're welcome. Now sleep."

And she did. She slept until the car came to a halt in front of the house they were renting for the week. It was in Guaynabo, right next to her mother's condominium.

What she did not expect to see was her mother's grey Audi parked in the driveway.

"I guess you're going to meet my mother. All I have to say is: Good luck." Abril said opening the door to the house.