Chapter 22

In the next few chapters we meet the Delanos. Get ready.

(They may or may not be inspired by my family)
--

Abril sat on the sidelines of the Champions League final. Bayern were leading by two points by half time and Abril was torn. Happy that maybe she didn't have to take Cristiano to her family and also sad because they were losing.

As the team walked out of the tunnel to start the second half, Abril noticed Cristiano's face.

It was very serious and somewhat intimidating. His brows were furrowed and jaw clenched, and his hands were curled in tight fists. It was the face he put when he wanted something, and Abril knew he was ready to win.

"Shit." She mumbled.

Isco, who was not in the starting 11, plopped down beside her, "What?"

"He has that look on his face."

"What look?"

"The I'm going to get what I want look."

"So?"

"He wants to win!"

"And? I thought you might want us to win."

"Yeah, but don't you remember the bet we made?" She asked as the whistle rang, signaling the second half.

"Really? Is that what it's all about. Look, I get that your family is crazy and all-"

"The truth is... they're not crazy. My family and his family are very different and-"

She was cut off by the cheers of the crowd. Real Madrid just made a goal. And it was only two minutes into the second half.

Abril cheered along and Isco jumped out if the bench and joined his celebrating teammates at the end of the pitch.

Cristiano Ronaldo scored that goal. He dedicated it to the fans and then pointed at the bench as if dedicating it to the staff, but Abril knew it was meant for her.

"We'll talk later." Isco said once they were about to restart the match, "El Mister asked me to warm up." He ran off with.

After 43 minutes, the match was nearing its end, and all signs pointed that Bayern Munich was going to win. Bayern flags were waved aggressively throughout the stadium and its chants were sung. But Abril knew Real Madrid well enough and they were not going to give up.

All they needed was a goal to equalize and then both teams had the same amount of winning. Then the referee pointed for a free kick in favor of the los Merengues. It was just outside the penalty box. There was only two minutes left of the match and if they did not take this kick well, it would mean the end for Real Madrid.

Everyone expected Cristiano Ronaldo to take the kick. Everyone waited for his five steps back from the ball and his deep intake of air.

But it never came.

Instead a young Welsh boy came to take it.

The same Welsh boy who scored the winning goal in La Decima and the Copa del Rey final against Barcelona. The same Welsh boy who people criticized. But he did come forward in those occasions so people should put trust on him. That Welsh boy: Gareth Bale.

The whole stadium was eerily quiet except for the few whistles here and there. Abril found herself taking a deep breath. This was the last chance for them.

Gareth placed the ball and took a few steps back.

Three

Two

One

Just like that the ball found the back of the net with a swerving knuckle ball.

The stadium shook and Abril found herself screaming in euphoria completely forgetting about the bet.

It was just like La Decima. A last minute masterpiece goal, bringing the teams level again. Somehow, though, this game seemed better.

After the game was restarted, there was 5 minutes of added time.

In those five minutes, Cristiano scored a goal.

Just like that, the game ended 3-2.

Real Madrid won the Champions League and La Liga.

And Abril lost the bet.

As the team celebrated on the pitch, Abril heard Cristiano whisper, "I guess we're going to Puerto Rico this summer."

"Great."

•••

1 month later

Abril zipped up her suitcase and placed her hands on her 4 month and two weeks pregnant tummy. In that month, her bump had grown a bit and it now seemed like she had gain weight.

She looked a bit more plump, and had that whole pregnancy glow.

Today, she had two very important things to do. One being, going to the doctor and learning the gender of the baby, which she is very excited for. And the other is that she gets to see her family.

Cristiano was waiting outside in his car with Junior. Yes, they were taking him to the doctor and on the trip. He was very excited also to see his brother or sister.

She rolled the bag to the foyer and left it there so that Cristiano's employee could take it to his private jet.

She entered the passenger seat of his Porshe, which was Cristiano's family vehicle since it had four doors. "Let's go."

"Yay!" Junior cheered.

"Junior, so are you excited to know if you're going to have a brother or a sister?" Cris asked as they zoomed by the streets of Madrid.

"Yes!" The kid said, "I want to have a brother so we can play cars together!"

"What if it's a sister?"

"Then, I will protect her."

"You will?" Abril asked, trying not to coo at his comment.

"Mhm." He nodded.

When they entered Dr. Contreras's office, it was mostly empty since everyone was out on vacation.

The secretary ushered the family inside and asked Abril to step out of her sundress and into another gown. Cristiano sat in a chair with Junior on his lap while she changed.

Dr. Contreras entered the room when Abril was laying on the ultrasound table. "Good morning, Abril. Cristiano." He took a chair beside the young woman and took out her file.

"Good morning." The three said at the same time, including Junior.

"Are you ready for the moment of truth?" The doctor asked, pulling on some gloves.

"Oh, yes." Abril answered, "Nervous, but ready."

The doctor put on the gel on her tummy and moved the wand around. He pointed at the screen and smiled, "That right there, is your baby."

Cris stood up and held Abril's hand, while Junior jumped a bit, "Is that my brother or sister?"

"Yes." Abril said, her eyes tearing up.

"It looks like a blob." Junior said.

Abril laughed a bit as the doctor kept examining the screen, "Well, it looks like everything is going perfectly. Its heart is fine, the organs are developing like they're supposed to."

"And the gender?" Cris asked, getting slightly impatient.

"You ready?" The three nodded, "Well, Junior is going to have a little brother."

Abril smiled brightly because, honestly, she always wanted a son. Two sons. Even though Junior isn't hers biologically, she feels like he is her son.

"Yes!" Junior squealed and danced around the room.

Cristiano laughed at his son and let a tear escape his eye, "We're having a son." He mumbled to her, leaning in.

"Yes, we are." Abril said before, pulling him to her lips for a brief kiss. "A son."