Chapter 35

"Abril?"

Abril stiffened at her voice, her muscles tensed as Cristiano held her even tighter. Her voice sounded the same, she still had her special way of saying Abril's name, but somehow it was different. Distant. Cold, even.

"Catalina," Abril breathed out. It wasn't even a question, but a plead. A plead for what, though? Forgiveness, maybe.

"Hey, he told me you called," Abril instantly knew who he was.

"Yeah, I mean we talked a bit," She said, gritting her teeth slightly. There was a long, tense pause and Abril sighed, "Okay, we talked a lot. About you."

"Yeah, he told me. We tell each other everything, unlike some people," Catalina said coldly.

Abril suddenly felt a cold bucket of water thrown on her head. Did Catalina just say that?

"Excuse me?" Abril jumped from the bed and all of a sudden her sadness was slipping away. "What do you mean by unlike some people?"

"Oh, nothing. Hey, have you told Cristiano about what happened when you were 17 with Jonathan?"

Catalina could hear the venom in the woman's voice and she didn't recognize her anymore. The sweet, energetic voice. Where had her voice gone? Where had she gone?

"That's none of your business." Abril managed to spit up after recovering from the shock.

"Hmm, well, I think you should tell your boyfriend that you and Jonathan had a baby together," Catalina sneered.

Abril gasped and her mouth trembled. She hadn't thought about that for years. She had erased that time in her life. It's true and it did happen which made in ten times worse. Cristiano moved towards her and whispered, "You okay?"

Abril nodded through a trembling jaw and smiled. Cristiano seemed to buy it and kissed her temple before leaving to the bathroom.

"Catalina, why are you saying these things? We swore that we would never talk about this ever again." Abril said, shakily.

"I'm tired, Abril, of you and all the baggage you come with."

"Baggage?"

"Two babies in the span of 8 years with guys that you have dated for only a few months and then dealing with your moping after you gave it up for adoption. Now, you're all peaches and cream with this baby. Probably because the father is a millionaire and he can sustain you and the baby until you fucking die," Catalina explained as Abril sat in shock at the venomous words, "You know? People have called me a slut, golddiger and stupid countless of times. But you? You're little Miss Sunshine. Straight A's, rich and you don't need a man, supposedly. But you always have your arms around a man. You're stupid enough to not have birth control pills. I ask myself if all those things they say about me are actually for me or for you. Quite frankly I think they're for you."

Punch after punch, Abril's heart broke. The words hit the spot, but she couldn't let Catalina win, "You know what? I'm gonna be the bigger person here like I always was. I tried working things out, but it seems to me that you're too blinded with jealousy to see that I love you and I would never call you the things you just called me. Yea, I'm fucked up. And, yes, I have an 8 year old daughter named Emilia, but at least I'm happy with myself. I love who I am and who I've become. Even if you say, I can't have one man, I'm getting married and I love my family. I love myself and I don't live my life insecurely: Unlike you. I love you, but consider this friendship over."

Just as Abril was about to hang up, she heard the other line croak out a weak voice, almost too weak. Like it was surrendering, "I hate you, Abril Delano."

"And I don't hate you Catalina Russo." Abril whispered softly, "My doors will always be open."

The line went dead after that. As Abril placed the phone down, she felt a breath of relief fall over her. No one tied her down now. Not even Catalina. It was all true, though. She didn't hate Catalina. And she will always be there for her. After all, they were best friends for 23 years. Some day, she knows things will be better, but for now she has Toni, James and Isco.

She faced the wall and laid on the bed, staring at the ceiling with twinkling lights. Peace. Finally. Closing her eyes, Abril felt at peace.

But then Cristiano's deep and slightly angry voice disrupted the peace, "You have a daughter?"