Chapter 32

Abril entered the apartment building she knew so well without any problems. The door was open. Security was always a problem.

"Abril? Hola!" Doña Rosa greeted from the stairs.

Doña Rosa was Catalina's next door neighbor. She was always too sweet. She knew Catalina didn't cook for shit so she spent her nights cooking some paella for the young girl. She reminded Abril of the grandmother she never had. Abril's ideal picture of a grandmother was grey hair, floral clothes, and a decorative flower on her hair. Doña Rosa fit the description perfectly.

"Doña Rosa! How are you?" As Abril went up slowly due to her belly, she met the old lady halfway.

"Ay, very good. Heart pressure problems, but that's the price of being old right?" Rosa smiled, grabbing hold of Abril's hands, "Never mind me! How about you? You haven't been here in months. I see why now, though."

Abril smiled already knowing she referred to her belly, "Yes, I've been living with my boyfriend."

"Oh? What's his name?" Rosa asked.

"Cristiano."

"I've heard that name before! I just don't know where exactly." She snapped her fingers. "That doesn't matter though! How far along are you?"

"30 weeks," Abril said, cradling her belly.

"Any time soon then!" Rosa smiled, the wrinkles on her face becoming more prominent.

"Yes. And I can't wait!" Abril exclaimed.

"Oh, the joy of being young and starting a family." Rosa sighed, "Are you off to see Catalina?"

"Um, yes actually." Abril said hesitantly.

"Good! That girl has not come out of that apartment for weeks. I've tried calling, but I get no answer. Truly, I'm worried."

Abril gulped. Catalina must be okay, she thought. She would never do anything stupid to herself, right? Now, guilt took over. If she had bothered to call her after their little fight then maybe this wouldn't have happened. Abril doesn't know what this is, but Catalina isn't one to ignore calls especially from Doña Rosa.

"I'm gonna go check on her," She spoke, flashing her a fake smile. "It was nice seeing you, Rosa."

"And you too, Abril. I hope I get a call once the little one is born." The old woman giving Abril a hug before proceeding down the steps.

"Of course."

"Bye!"

Abril ran up the steps. Well, every time she took two steps she stopped because she was out of breath so it took her ten minutes to get up to the third floor.

Out of breath, she trotted down the hallway until she reached Catalina's door. The building was eerily quiet and the only sound heard was Abril's sneakers on the floor and the three knocks she left on Catalina's door.

She waited ten seconds before knocking again. When there was no answer once again, she repeated the process until she realized that she was not opening the door any time soon.

Abril was about to give up hope when all of a sudden she thought of the time Catalina had given her the key to her apartment for emergencies. She frantically searched the huge purse until she heard the sound of keys and a huge plush and fuzzy ball attached to them.