Chapter 24

It's not that Abril hated her mother, Marina, she just hated what she said sometimes. Ever since Abril was little, Marina would tell her that she should lose weight since Abril always had a problem with that. She would also tell her that she should stop being so antisocial and go to a party. But the thing that Abril hated the most was when she tried to dictate her life.

Marina would always tell her to become a lawyer, marry at the age of 30, and have kids when she was 35. It was as if she was trying to live the life she never had through Abril's because Marina did none of those things.

Instead, she got a degree in Psychology, married to Raymond at the age of 20, and had Julio, her oldest son, when she was 21. She never got to be a Psychologist because after Julio, she had Abril at 23. Then got divorced three years later, inherited a shit ton of money from Abril's grandparents when they died and now lived in a Penthouse apartment with her Pug, Rosa Barks.

"Abril, you've gotten so fat." Was the first thing that came out of Marina's mouth after she had met Cristiano and Junior and had a nice conversation with them. Luckily they had gone upstairs to unpack and left Abril alone with her mother.

"Ma!" Abril yelped.

"I'm sorry, hun, was that too harsh? What I meant was the you look plumper than when I last saw you."

"Yeah, thanks." Abril sat on the couch while Marina stood up.

"I told you to lay off the paellas."

"I'm not fat, ma."

"Alright." Marina raised her arms in defeat, "Just tell that to that tummy and the big breasts and- oh my god."

"What?" The younger woman asked after a moment of silence.

Marina's big brown eyes, which Abril inherited, looked as if they were about to pop. "You're pregnant."

"Uh..." There was moment of awkward silence.

"But you're only 25, Abril. And you've only know Cristiano for a little less than a year and- wait-" Marina paused, "Is he the father?"

"Of course he is!" Abril almost yelled.

"And does he know?"

"Yes."

"Is he going to be there to support you and the baby?"

This time a deep voice cut them off, "Of course I am."

Cristiano trotted down the stairs swiftly and sat next to Abril, wrapping his arms around her shoulders.

"Good, but I think you should have waited till you were 35, not 25. You should be focusing on your career, Abril."

"I'm sorry, ma, but it just kind of happened. And I am focusing on my career. In fact, I've been promoted to Assistant Physician."

Cristiano looked at her with his mouth agape, "You never told me."

"Well, I'm telling you now, babe." She said before Cris smiled brightly and hugged her, mumbling a congratulations.

"So does the staff know about your relationship?" Abril's mother asked after, sipping a bit of her smoothie.

"No." They answered in unison.

"And why is that?"

Abril was the one who answered, "It's not very professional to have this kind of relationship with someone you work with."

"Abril! You know you could lose your job for this!"

"Trust me, I've thought long and hard about this. And I've had a couple of panic attacks, but Cris is always there to reassure me that it's going to be alright. And I know I might lose my dream job, but it's a chance I'm willing to take. Right now I have everything I want in life."