Chapter 22

It was getting late and we decided to finally leave. It was a lovely evening. Dinner went well and I felt so welcome. More welcome here than I did in my own family.

"Thank you for dinner. I thoroughly enjoyed it." I told Katia before embracing her in a hug.

"No problem sweetie, I hope to see you soon." She said hugging me back.

Ruby said goodbye to her mum and we went back home.

We were both on cloud nine on the journey home, we cranked the radio up full blast and was singing at the tops of our voices, both glad this evening went well.

We got back in and I took a shower and put some pyjamas on and waited in bed for Ruby. She stepped out of the bathroom and the mirror was all steamed up. Her collar bones stuck out above the towel and her perfect tattoos defined her arms. Her hair was pushed back looking effortlessly good. I wish I looked as good as my girlfriend, I looked like a bald man with my hair wet. She got changed and hopped in bed beside me. We faced each other just staring into each other eyes, lovingly.

Ruby leant in and pecked me on the lips. The kiss was over too quickly for my liking.

"So when are we going to tell your parents?" Ruby asked the million dollar question.

I knew I couldn't keep holding off on telling them. They had a right to know and it wasn't fair on Ruby. I didn't want her thinking that I'm ashamed of her or something. I just don't want to deal with the wrath of my parents judgment and actions. I knew it wasn't going to be pretty.

I had felt so disconnected from my parents since I had returned but they were still my family and I cared about their feelings, thoughts and opinions.

"I mean I guess we could do it tomorrow..." I said slightly apprehensive.

I was hoping Ruby would say no she's busy doing a shoot or a shift but she just nodded. Great.

"Yeah. Tomorrow will be good. Get it over and done with." She said positively.

"You do know it probably will turn ugly right?"

I wanted to make sure Ruby was fully ready to know what to expect when telling my parents. I wanted to make sure she knew it wasn't going to go down as well as it did today, with her mum.

"I know," Ruby said rolling her eyes.

"But it has to be done sooner rather than later." She carried on.

I knew she was right.

"I wish my parents were as accepting as your mother is," I said not really meaning for me to say it out loud. It was just frustrating that I knew my parents don't approve of who I love and I don't think anyone can really understand that feeling until they've gone through it.

Ruby pouted at me.

"I'm really lucky to have the mum I do. She's been my rock all my life but especially when I was 12."

I chewed my lip. I wanted to ask Ruby about her childhood seen as she never really speaks about it but I didn't want to be nosy. I went for it anyway. I mean she knew most things about me and sometimes I felt like I barely even knew her.

"You never really talk about your childhood," I say matter of factly.

I couldn't really tell what Ruby was feeling. I couldn't read her facial expressions she just had a blank expression on her face. I had never seen her wear it before and it made me slightly uncomfortable.

"Just because it wasn't a good childhood. Don't see why I would talk about some of the worst times of my life."

I could tell Ruby was getting agitated talking about it. I regretted bringing it up already.