Welcome Home Autumn

Chapter Five

****

"Autumn, now things are going to be a bit confusing for you for a while...You're not just an average girl anymore-"

My eyes narrowed at the woman standing in front of me, "What do you mean I'm not an average girl anymore? Oh my God, am I dead?!"

The unidentified woman shook her head, "No, but you would have been if your friends wouldn't have taken the necessary action to save you. I had a feeling this would be happening soon, I've been waiting..."

My face contorted in confusion, "You're not making any sense to me right now....What's going on? Where am I? What have you been waiting for?!"

"It will all make sense in time..."

I walked a little closer to the woman, "Who are you?"

"I'm just like you...like I said before, it'll all make sense in time. Now go ahead and open your eyes, your friends will be very happy you're awake..."

"No! Answer my questions! You can't say things like this and not answer them!" I yelled, but the woman just started to fade into the darkness. It was like she was never even there...

I could feel my eyes attempting to tug themselves open, as various beeping noises began to fill my ears. Every single inch of my body ached, and it's almost as if I can feel my insides trying to pull themselves back together. I let out a small groan which sounded more like a dying cat, but that's all I could manage to get out. My throat might as well be made out of sandpaper with the way it's feeling.

"W-What? Autumn?!" A voice yelled. Whoever it was clearly fell over something, cause I could hear what I'm assuming to be a chair flying across the room and a thud on the floor. "Are you awake?! Can you hear me?!" Their hand grabbed mine, my fingers fitting perfectly in the spaces between theirs. There was only one person this could be..."Squeeze my hand if you can hear me, make a noise, do something!"

My hand was weak, but I managed to gather up enough strength to tighten my grip. "S-Sti-"

"Oh my-Oh my God, okay! Um, just stay here!!! Don't um....Don't move!!!!! Okay?! I'll be right back!!!"

A door opened and I could hear him running down the hallway screaming for Mama McCall. Ahh, being in the hospital makes sense considering it smells like someone spilled antiseptics everywhere. And I literally feel like I've been hit by a train...

A few bodies jogged into the room, causing me once again to try to open my eyes but no luck. "Autumn? Hi Sweetheart, it's Melissa...Stiles said you're awake, so can you move or say something for me?"

"W-Water?" I choked out.

"See I told you!!!" Stiles exclaimed, I'm sure flailing his arms around all over the place.

"Of course, I can get you some water. Keep trying to open up those eyes for me, okay? They're going to be pretty sensitive when they open so I'm gonna dim the lights a bit."

Okay, here's attempt number three to get my eyes open...let's see if it works.

I could feel them start to finally pull apart, and a small sliver of light made contact with my eyeballs. Mama McCall wasn't kidding when she said my eyes would be sensitive. Pain shot through my eyes to the back of my head even though I barely had my eyes open, but I had to try to keep them open to let them adjust. My vision was blurry, fading in an out of focus.

"Alright, here you go sweetie. Some nice ice cold water, just how you like it."

I tugged my lips into a weak smile, "Thank you..." I whispered.