Masked

Chapter Thirty Two

****

"So then she started talking about phosphors and the key having chemicals on it, right? And so that made me think of the chemistry closet and the fact that someone had to let Barrow in."

From the moment Stiles got to my house this morning to pick me up for school until now he's been insanely spazzy, well, more than usual. "So, is this where you went?"

My boyfriend nodded quickly while he walked in the direction of the chalkboard, "It's gone...Okay, it doesn't matter though. It doesn't matter. I've still got the key." He rushed towards the back of the room and began fiddling around with his keys. "What....no...I had it...I had it here!" He muttered, going through every single one of his keys before looking at us with panic filled eyes. "I had it here this morning. I swear, I had it here this morning!"

I placed a comforting hand on his shoulder, and slowly took the keys out of his hands. "Babe, calm down..."

"The key you were talking about last night?"

Stiles nodded, "Yeah, I showed it to you, right? Didn't I show it to you?"

"No, you just told me about it. I never actually saw it." Scott replied.

"I saw it, Stiles." I reminded him, just in case he was starting to think he was going crazy. He's insanely sleep deprived, and it's actually beginning to concern me.

The panicked look was still set in his eyes, and his breaths started getting heavier and quick as he focused on the chalkboard. "I was here a couple hours ago. And the message left to Barrow spelling Kira's name was right there on the board in my handwriting."

"Your handwriting?" I asked.

He nodded in reply, "And I had the key to the chemistry closet."

"So you unlocked the chemistry closet so Barrow could hide in it from the cops, and then you wrote him a message to kill Kira?"

Stiles shook his head slightly, "I know how it sounds...but look at this." His hand dug into his pocket and he pulled out a crumbled up paper. "This is the news report that came out about Barrow when they caught him, okay? But remember when Barrow made that weapon? See this? See what he did? He put nuts, bolts, and screws. And then he hid everything in a box wrapped as a birthday present. What does that sound like to you?"

"Coach."

He nodded, his breath shaking slightly. "The joke we played on coach. That was my idea. You remember? That was my idea. That's no coincidence. It can't be."

"Stiles, what are you trying to say?" I asked, concern for him building up inside of me more and more as the words kept coming out of his mouth.

"I don't want to sound like I'm trying to tell you that you're wrong. But I don't think you're trying to kill people."

I nodded in agreement and placed my hands on the sides of my boyfriends face, "I don't think you're trying to kill anyone either...Try to calm down, okay? You're freaking out and it's only gonna make things worse. There's an explanation for all of this I'm sure."

"It was here..." He whispered, his eyes locked right onto mine. "It was all here..."

"I know...I saw it..." I whispered back, slowly brushing my thumb against his cheek. I could feel him shaking under my fingertips, "Babe, are feeling okay? You're worrying me." The dark circles under his eyes were becoming more visible, and honestly he was just starting to not look like himself. He was worn down,shaking terribly, and just full of panic and worry.