Never Trust a Fox

Chapter Thirty Seven 

****

I could feel Stiles' eyes on me the entire time we were going through the contents of the duffle bag, ropes being the main thing we were pulling out. I was trying to slightly ignore him, but he was making it really hard. I couldn't help but continue to argue with myself about the whole situation, it just doesn't feel right. Something's still off about him, no matter how many times he says it's him...no matter how many times he promises.

"Autumn...baby, please don't ignore me. It's me..." His hands found their way to my hips and instead of getting the usual butterflies, I felt...uncomfortable. Every second of feeling this way around him is killing me, I hate it. 

"Stiles..." 

"What were you doing? Building a Terminator?" Aiden asked, cutting our conversation short. 

Stiles shot him a look, and dropped his hands from my waist before walking to a different spot at the table. "Thanks for that." 

"Guys, this is a map." Scott said, opening up a piece of paper. 

I nodded, "Yeah, and it looks a whole lot like the Cross country trial." 

"That's the Tate car....where Malia Tate's family died." Scott mentioned as Aiden's finger ran along the map.  

Stiles leaned against the table, "You mean that's where her father put the steel-jawed traps."

"We have to get to the trail!" 

****

"Coach!" Stiles yelled as Aiden, himself, and I jumped out of the jeep. Scott and Ethan were already here at this point, thanks to their werewolf speed. Aiden got stuck with us to protect me just in case anything went wrong, but I would be lying if I said it didn't make me feel better having him with Stiles and I. 

Coach's eyes widened at the sight of him considering he'd been missing for two days, "Stiles?! Where–" 

"Coach, listen close." 

Aiden turned towards me as Stiles continued talking, "Stay close to me, Scott will rip me to shreds if I let anything happen to you." 

"You're only doing this because you want to be in his pack." I muttered.

He let out a sigh, "Autumn, believe it or not I don't want anything to happen to you either, and Lydia would die if something happened to you. I'm doing this for everyone, alright? You're not that bad to be around." 

My hand flew up over my chest, "Does Aiden really have a heart somewhere in there?" 

"Shut up." 

"Well..." I shrugged, "You and your brother did try to kill me that one time....multiple times, actually if you count the whole hospital fiasco that happened when we had Cora and–"

His lips were pursed together, "Let's not talk about the past..." He interrupted, "Just watch your surroundings and stay by me." 

"Come on, guys." Stiles ordered as himself and coach took off running. We quickly followed, but stopped as soon as we heard Stiles screaming at Scott. "Scott! Stop, stop, stop. Everyone, stop!" My steps came to a skidded halt right next to my boyfriend who was flailing his arms around like a mad man. 

Everyone was just as confused as I was when we all saw Stiles lean down towards the ground, like he was looking for something. His hands gripped onto a large ring and as he pulled the ring up a chain followed. "Stiles..." 

He didn't reply, just continued to pull the chain out of the leaves slowly. Finally the end of the chain dangled in the air which caused Finstock to start a slow sarcastic clap, "Congratulations, Stilinski. You found a length of chain. Can somebody now please tell me what's going on?"