Chapter 3 (Updated)

*Chapter 3 (2017 update)*

As the saying goes there is no place like home.

Each year Hogwarts welcomes dozens of new students and each year it says its farewell to dozens more. It is in a way such an ambivalent truth.

It was a cloudless night, leaving the shining stars to envelop the cloudless night skies. The Great Hall was buzzing with students talking about their summer escapades, the latest fashion trends, the latest nimbus edition and of course the never-ending debate on the best Quidditch team. So far, it was a great start for a new semester.

It was time, the time for the Sorting Hat to sings its song and sort the first years to their destined houses. Madame Prince stood beside the stool where the Sorting Hat sat. 

"Please wait there until your name is called." She said and unraveled the scroll she had been holding the whole night. 

Alexander tugged on Alicia's cloak and spoke. "Mom and Dad were in Slytherin. I'm sure I'll be sorted there too," He concluded.

"I'm sure you will, Alex. Good Luck." Alicia affectionately patted Alexander's head. 

"How about you, Al?" Alexander asked. "You'll be in Gryffindor too, like your mum." 

"I hope so," Alicia whispered and returned her attention to the young girl who just been sorted into Ravenclaw. 

"Alexander Zabini" Madam Prince announced and gestured for the young boy to sit on the stool.

It didn't take long for the Sorting Hat to give its final answer. As expected Alexander was sorted into the same house as his pureblood parents. The Slytherins applaud as he made his way to the table.  He couldn't be happier, he couldn't wait to write to his parents and give the news of his obvious achievement.

As the names went on it was finally Alicia's turn. After her name was announced, the buzz of the students and staff had disappeared leaving the sound of faint footsteps of the young blonde girl emerging from the crowd of first years. Everyone in the room knew of the Great War Heroin and how her intellect and bravery saved the Wizarding World from Voldemort's destruction. 

Once the Sorting Hat was placed on Alicia's head, it started its reading. 

"Hmmm. You are difficult to place." Said the Sorting Hat. "You have great intellect, you would stand well with Ravenclaw. Oh, but the will to fight has brought you this far. Courage worthy of Godric's house, but the ability to outwit will certainly please Salazar. You are a tricky one, Ms. Granger. But where to put you is the problem." 

"Wherever you wish," Alicia replied. 

"It's all in your head. The hunger for truth."

"Truth?" Alicia questioned. 

"You will do well in," The Sorting Hat mid-sentence before finally announcing. "Slytherin!" 

Alicia gasped by means of logic and intuition she always thought she would be roaring with the lions, but it seems she was proven wrong. The Great Hall jumped into applause especially the Slytherin table, who had gained more new students this year. 

"I sense your confusion." spoke the Sorting Hat, but Alicia remained in shock. "I sensed something within you that reminded me of your father." 

"My father?" 

Before the Sorting Har answered Madam Prince had already taken off the hat from Alicia's head. 

"Please proceed to the Slytherin's table, Miss Granger." Madame Prince instructed. 

Alicia was in shock. No one ever mentioned her father until now. She lamely walked towards the Slytherin table in a daze, but a certain voice was coaxing her to snap out of her daze. 

"Alicia!" It was Scorpius. He was signalling her to sit beside him. She buried her shock for now. She could go through tonight events in her head later, but now it was time to smile at her new friend and housemates. 

Even with a fake expression, it kept on coming back to her. Why was she in Slytherin? What the Sorting Hat had said earlier remained in her mind, it was a loop in her head. 

When she was young she asked about her father, but no one gave an answer, it was a topic none of the adults wanted to acknowledge. Eventually, it had become taboo to even speak of it, but it did not stop her curiosity. She had been trying to look her father for as long as she can remember, but there was nothing to search for. The name of her father was unknown giving her a dead end before she even got to start.

If the Sorting Hat remembers all his readings, then he might be right. Alicia's father must have attended Hogwarts and was sorted into Slytherin. All those years of looking a lead she had finally found a breakthrough, she had finally found her starting line.