Chapter 38

“These combined bloods will save her for sure.” healer McLaggen’s assistant said as she held the two full vials of blood in her hands.

 “Thank you healer--” Hermione trailed off. She just noticed that the lovely healer wasn’t wearing a name tag or an identification card.

 “Payne, healer Payne.” Said the healer and extended her hand for both adults to shake.

 “Thank you Healer Payne for attending us.” Draco said his voice filled with gratitude as he shook healer Payne’s small hand.

 “You’re very welcome. Sir, madam.” Healer Payne smiled and took out two small bottles from her clean white robes.  “Here, this potion will help you regain the lost blood.” She added and gave the one bottle each before leaving them.

 Hermione looked at the potion with disgust. Modern potions were really getting disgusting by each passing year. She pulled out the piece of cork and smelled the potion, the scent was like gym socks and old molds tickled her nostrils that made her want to puke. Even Muggle medicine was much better that this. Muggle medicine had flavors that made them easier to consume but this, this black goo was pure torture.

 “You have to drink that you know.” Draco whispered, his husky voice sending chills down Hermione’s back but she didn’t want to make it obvious.

 “I know Malfoy!” Hermione hissed in a silent whisper, Draco on the other hand chuckled with amusement. Same old Granger he thought.

 “Drink it then.” He said daring her to drink the disgusting potion.

 Hermione swallowed the lump in her throat and glanced back at Draco who was just beside her. She watched Draco drink the bottle as if he was just drinking bottoms up. She shivered with disgust as Draco placed the cork back on the empty bottle.

 “How was it?’ She asked and inhaled the scent of her own hair.

 “Terrible actually, but when it reaches your throat it’s quite minty as if you never drank something so horrible.”  He commented and made tasting sounds with his mouth.

 “I have to brush my teeth ten times after this.” Hermione said and brought the bottle tip on her pink plump lips.

 Closing her eyes she titled her head backwards and allowed the mawkish goo enter her mouth and pass her throat. She swallowed all the contents and shivered with disgust, but to her surprise it really tastes minty and sweet. She actually wanted more.

 “See, what I tell you?” Draco’s voice erupted in the room which caused Hermione to look at his smiling face.

 “You were right. It does taste minty.” Hermione replied as a genuine smile appearing on her face.

 It had been years since she smiled like this, so genuine, so sweet, so beautiful and innocent. Draco had to admit he missed Hermione even what he said to himself years ago before the wedding started. Hermione’s smile was very rare and it could never be copied. Her smile makes every problem melt away. Draco had finally seen those familiar perfect hazel nut eyes that he knew for so long.