Chapter 17 (Updated)

*Chapter 17 (2020 Update) *

Christmas Eve, London England

How would you describe your Christmas? London was covered in a blanket of snow. The lights from sparkling lights warmed the chilly air. Stores were closing early yet people still wanted a chance to finish their Christmas shopping before heading home to be with their families. It was like any other Christmas scene anywhere in the world.

Inside one of the mansions, a figure stood in front of a huge window. Her gaze was settled on the snow-covered gardens of their home. She took the wine glass from the table beside her and took a sip. She held the stem of the wine glass between her slender fingers and let the glass rest on her palm. Her red lips formed a straight line when she remembered the last happy Christmas she had. She remembered those times when she played snowball fights with her friends, Christmas dinner with her family back at home, or in the Great Hall. She could hear faint laughter, an echo from her memories.

She forced a sigh to escape the memory. She turned around and faced the magnificent fireplace in the room where she always escaped to. It wasn't as big as the rooms in the mansion but it was a perfect place for her to be at peace. She placed her wine glass beside and a half-empty bottle of wine and sat down on the armchair. As she listened to the crackling fire, her brown eyes reflected the flames as they danced. She thought that all of those years she could look back at the past with less pain but the intensity was as if it was inflicted yesterday. It felt like the scar never healed and the memories were like salt being poured into an open wound. She heard a faint knock coming from the half-opened door.

"Come in." She spoke and slowly pushed herself from the chair. She fixed the wrinkles of her white jumpsuit.

A man opened the door and greeted her with a handsome smile. He slowly approached her and planted a soft kiss on her cheek. She giggled and returned the gesture with a kiss on his cheek.

"Dinner is ready, Hermione." He informed her.

"Alright. Go ahead, Cormac. I'll be right behind you." She told him.

"Don't be too late. The butler is also calling everyone." He took her hands and placed a kiss. He turned his back and headed for the door.

After taking a sip of her wine she didn't realize a heavy sigh escaped her lips.

"Thinking about that day again?"

Cormac was about to leave but heard her. For all the years they had known each other he knew what was troubling her. He also knew this was a room she likes to escape to.

Hermione turned around to face Cormac who was leaning against the door frame with a frown forming on his lips. The sudden feeling of vulnerability flowed through her body. She wrapped her arms around herself and approached the fireplace.

"I can't help it." She admitted. She closed her eyes and remembered that day she watched Draco marry someone else. She was more or less sixteen weeks pregnant.

She was far from London when the news of Draco and Astoria's engagement. Due to the far-flung area she was assigned to she had not heard of it. When the program was over she returned to London not knowing about the engagement. The hype had died down but the anticipation for the big day was still there. It was days after when she had learned about the engagement.

*Flashback*

"Are you excited to head back?" A fellow classmate asked as they were riding a train back to London.

"Of course. I miss everyone." She replied with a smile. "More importantly, I can't wait to sleep on a comfy bed and take a nice relaxing week."