Chapter 39

Draco pushed the church doors open and the scent of candles, flowers and incense entered his nostrils. It had been years since he had set foot on this church sixteen years to be exact. It was painful to think about some parts of the memory so, He pushed those memories back in his mind and continued to walk down the aisle as the red carpet contrasting with his black shoes.

 He walked down the aisle and he noticed that as he was nearing, he can see Astoria seating on one of the benches that were hidden in the side. Slowly walking up to her he saw her tear stained face and her hair in a messy bun. Astoria was busy looking at the cross she didn’t notice Draco sit beside her.

 “What’s wrong?” Draco asked, he saw her blink but he didn’t bother to look at him. She just wiped the smeared make up and the left over tears on her face.

 “What is it you wanted to talk about that you needed to speak to me here?” He added but Astoria remained quiet. She is never this quiet Draco thought.

 He tried to catch Astoria’s eyes but she kept her face away from his. He needed a little more time to register the words that were going to come out of her mouth.  Slowly she was parting her red lips and closed her eyes blocking the image of Draco form the corner of her eyes.

 “M-My Father once told me ‘Truth hurts Astoria but we need to get hurt to be free.’”  She spoke softly but Draco heard her.

 “What are you talking about Astoria?” Draco asked in confusion as he moved closer to her and draped his arm over her shoulder.

 Astoria tried to bit her lip to prevent more tears from falling from her eyes. She wasn’t sure if she was doing the right thing but deep inside she knew she needed to do this. She had to. She couldn’t live with secrets anymore. The earlier encounter with Narcissa made her realize that it was time to tell the truth.

 “S-Scorpius.” Astoria whispered and instantly looked at her lap. Her voice was quivering with pain and fear.

 Draco’s eyes widened as his body stiffened when he heard Scorpius’ name escape Astoria’s red lips. He just thought of something so bad it almost killed him to know what really happened.

 “What about Scorp? Is he alright? Did something happen to him?” Draco asked his tone filled with concern and fear that something bad might have something to his only son.

 “No. Nothing happened to him.” Astoria immediately said which made Draco feel relieved and let out a sigh. He didn’t notice he had been holding his breath all this time.

 “Then what’s wrong?” He asked once more.

 Astoria placed her perfectly manicured hands on Draco’s large ones and stared at his grey eyes. She had fallen for those grey eyes but she knew that Draco’s heart was with Hermione all this time. She was an arranged wife and she had accepted it.

 Draco on the other hand looked at his wife. He stared at those blue eyes she had that made him feel better all the time but the image of brown orbs kept blocking those eyes that he was staring at. He learned to love Astoria but it was still different from Hermione’s love.