Chapter 40

Hermione’s POV

 The sun was already up and it hit Alicia’s hospital room quite well. I was just there reading a book and having tea while I watched over my 15 year old daughter. I slightly shivered when I felt the cold morning breeze pass my body. Today was Alicia’s blood operation and I wanted to be there for her. I had James take over the company for today. He knew all the directions of the company so I had nothing to worry about.

 It had been three hours since I was here but I didn’t mind all I wanted was to be with Alicia even if she couldn’t see me or hear me for that matter. I just wanted to be there in case she wakes up.

 I looked up from my book and saw that her bed sheets were messy. I placed a marker on my book and closed it. Slowly, I wakled over to Alicia and fixed her sheets. Thoughts suddenly filled my head when I did this. Loads of what ifs statements filled my head.

 What if I told them I was alive?

 What is I had been there for Alicia?

 What if I objected at Draco’s wedding?

 What is I fought for our love?

 More what ifs filled my head and I couldn’t push them back behind my head since they kept coming back. If I pushed one back them a much worse scenario would replace it. I sighed and sat on the edge of the bed. I stared at my daughter with awe; she looks so beautiful and so innocent. She had my curly hair but she also had Draco’s platinum blonde hair. But my sight was ruined with the tubes connected to her, those tubes and wires were keeping her alive. I felt a tear run down my face when I look at the tubes connected to her. She was dying, even the healer said that she was responding to the other medications I couldn’t stop thinking about the worst case scenario.

 Slowly, I ran my fingers over her blonde hair and smiled. She and Draco look so alike, form the hair color to her skin to her eyes. I remember the first time I saw those grey eyes; it was both my happiest and darkest day of my life. I placed my hand on her cheek and started to caress her cheek with my thumb. I bit my lip to control myself from crying but I lost the battle between tears and I.

 “I’m so sorry Alicia.” I said between sobs and tears streaming down my face. I was really sorry that I left her. “I love you so much.”

 More tears poured down my face but I tried to smile.  I was so happy that she was with me but I was sad because I couldn’t speak to her or even see her smile. I miss her so much.

 I wanted her to feel that I was there for her no matter what.

 “Hermione?” I turned around and saw Draco holding flowers and his face filled with concern.

 He placed the flowers on the table and came closer. He was so concern and he looked as if he seen a ghost and not like the ghost back at Hogwarts.

 “Is everything alright?” he asked and sat beside me watching me crying.

 “Yes, it’s just, what if Alicia can’t make it? What if we were too late?” I said trying to imagine the worst case scenario.