1 - A Death Close to the Heart

Elsa knew something was wrong. Something had happened. Something terrible. The castle was dead silent. Then, Jack tapped on her window. She whirled around, and, despite her sense of growing unease, she felt a smile spread across her face.

"Jack!" she gasped, her chest filling with warmth. Even though she was 18, she didn't know if Jack Frost was a figment of her imagination anymore. Most people who had imaginary friends didn't keep them as full grown adults. But Elsa was not 'most people'. And besides, she needed Jack. Jack was her rock.

"Elsa, something's happened," he said, unsmiling. A sense of dread settled in her stomach, replacing the warmth that Jack's presence had brought a few moments ago.

"What? What is it, Jack?" she asked frantically, rushing forward.

"It's... it's your parents."

"My parents? What about my parents?"

"They died in a shipwreck, Elsa. I'm so sorry..."

"No..." Elsa whispered. This couldn't be. Did everyone she loved have to have something terrible happen to them? Why? Why did they have to die? A tear streamed down her cheek. She remembered the last thing she'd said to them before they left. She'd asked them if they had to leave, then, when they reached out to hug her, she pushed them away, telling them to stay away from her. She was dangerous!

"Elsa, I'm sorry," Jack said, stepping closer, arms outstretched to comfort her.

"No! Don't touch me!" she screamed, whirling around and wrapping her arms around herself protectively.

"Elsa--"

"Just go, Jack!" There was silence and then a cold breeze.

When she turned around, he was gone.