Chapter 1.

"Your passport and ticket please" asked the security guard at the entrance of Mumbai's international airport. I'm finally going to New York a place I wanted to go since I was a kid. But I never imagined I would be alone at the airport waiting for my flight to arrive which is few hours late. I am going to stay with my father and elder brother there. My father got a really good job in New York 2 years back. And we all were going to shift there last year. But my 12th results were not out and my brother's college was going to start so he shifted with dad. I and mom were supposed to shift after my results.
I still remember it was exactly 7 days before our flight we found out my mom has Lung cancer. When doctor said she hardly have 6 months my mom smiled and said it's more than enough time and we left for home. I was quiet till we reached home. As soon as we reached I called my dad and said about my mom's cancer. For the first time in my life I heard him crying Thank God he was not in front of me or else I would have died seeing him cry.
My mom's treatment started and we decided we won't shift and my bother will also shift back to mumbai after his exams. He had promised mom he will come back the day exams gets over and asked her to wait for him. As soon as my father and brother came after his exams my mom left us. Maybe she was just waiting for them to return.

It's been six months and I still remember that day . probably the Worst day of my life. After mom left dad wanted me to go with him but I didn't wanted to go. And Thanks to Allah my first year was half left so I have to complete it before leaving so we made a deal I will stay back with my nani ( maternal grandmother) till my year ends and as soon as it ends I will shift to New York.

As I was seating in the waiting room I saw a small girl running around her mom. That brought a smile on my face. This reminded me of my mom . Mom and I had made lots of plans for our journey to New York. I wish she was here. I was very excited to shift a year ago but now I just want to run form the airport. After my mom left my dad's behaviour changed. He was trying to be a father as well as a mother for us but that change irritated me I don't know why. My dad was not alone to change my brother's behaviour also changed. We were typical siblings always fighting and make fun of each other and that was so much fun. But now he has become too protective and we no more made fun of each other. But that wasn't his fault. It's me who was to be blamed. After mom's death I didn't talk to anyone for a week and after that also I just replied to the questions they asked. I don't feel like talking to anyone. It was mom who I use to talk the most for 17 years of my life and now all of a sudden she is gone. I was a very talkative person. My family always made fun of me by saying your mouth doesn't plan talking continuously.
Everyone thinks I am still not over my mom's death . I have still not accepted the fact that she is gone. But the truth is I have accepted that she is gone and moved on as well but I don't like talking now. So this made my dad and brother change. I'm the reason of their change and I'm the only one who is hating that change.
A vibration in my phone brought me out of my thoughts. It was a WhatsApp group message. The name of the group was changed to "hate you kehara" changed by my best friend amy. She is very sad because I am going.

A- kehara when will you come back?

K- Hehe amy let me go first

And again the name of the group changed. This time it was changed by Addy.
Addy changed the name "we will miss you kehara"

Addy is my another best friend. He was more like a brother to me. We three were together since the first day of school and have been best friends from that time. They both know me more than I know myself. Leaving them behind made me more sad. I wish I could pack them in my bags and take them with we.

K- guys I promise to return as soon as possible. I will miss you guys as well. The plane is about to take off so I need to switch off my phone. I will msg as soon as I land in New York. Byeee

After messaging them I switched off my phone. I have no idea how I will manage without my mom and my friends there. I am very nervous. I have a fear of meeting new people and changes. And shifting means changing lifestyle and meeting new people. Two things that I hated the most.
I am going to meet dad and bhai ( Hindi word which means brother) after 5 months but I'm not at all excited. All I was thinking about was my mother. I wish she was here.

I still remember an incident which took place when we were planning our journey to New York.

"mom how will I manage college without my friends. I don't want to go" I cried

"Kehara stop overreacting" mom said

" I'm not overreacting you know I have a fear of changes and meeting new people" I protested

" you have to overcome your fear kehara. We cannot come everywhere with you. We can't be with you every time" She said

" I won't go to a place where you can't come with me" I said dramatically " and hey where are you going . You can't go leaving me alone even if it's important to leave"

"You won't understand" she said rolling her eyes.

Now I understand what exactly she meant. She meant she won't be with me After her death.
I know whatever Allah do is for your benefit still I want to ask him why just why He took my mom from me. But Allah is the best of planner I reminded myself constantly.
Ya Allah help me. I don't know what I will do there all alone but I know you are always with me. Help me to get over my mom's death and adjust in this new country.

An irritating sound brought me back from my thoughts. The plan is about to land in New York and now I'm get more and more nervous. Ya Allah help me please.

Asslamualayekum. I hope you guy liked my story. Thanks for reading:)