You Still Need a Man

Momma, Angel, and queen in MM.

Queen POV

I walked into my mother's two story house with a sense of home. I could smell coffee being brewed and knew right away that she was in the kitchen making coffee. I saw my sister in the living room with Lorenzo and my niece.

"Aunty Quee Quee!" Lalani squealed running over to me. I picked her up and hugged her.

"I missed you Aunty baby." I said smiling at her.

"I miss you too Aunty." She said smiling at me.

Angel walked in and gave me a hug and so did Lorenzo. My mom walked in and the look on her face made me smile. My mom always loved me to her core. I was her favorite because I was always smart and stayed in my books. I was what she would call the "Dream Child".

"Hey momma lil baby." She said kissing my cheek and hugging me.

"Mommy!" I squealed like a little girl as I hugged her back.

If anything, I loved my mother more than I loved myself. She was always there for Angel and I and she spoiled us rotten. She made us feel beautiful and told us we were every day. I grew up in a single parent home and I know it was hard for my mother having to raise two daughters on her own.

"You want somethin to eat baby? I got some cheese cake in the kitchen." She said.

"Yes. I am starving. I haven't eaten all day. Had to work." I said.

"Gurl that's a no no. You got to eat. Gotta keep you nice and plump for da mens." My mom said cutting me a slice of cheese cake and putting it on a plate.

"Maaaaaa." I whined.

"Here. Eat this. Made it wit my own two hands. It's oreo cheese cake." Mom put the cheese cake to my face to feed it to me.

I started eating and my eyes closed. It was the best cheese cake. She put a slice of heaven in my mouth. It melted in my mouth and I didn't even have to chewm I almost didn't want to swallow it because I wanted to savor it.

"Mmmm. This is so good mom." I said looking at her.

I know. I used that new creme they got. That uhh.. Lous! Yes. Lous is the best. Taste betta than regular milk." She said as she handed me the plate and went to sipping her coffee as Lalani walked up to her and hugged her leg.

"I see. It's sooo good." I said as I ate the rest of my slice.

"Gwanny." Lalani said as she snuggled on mom's leg like a kitten.

"What cha need lil baby?" Mom asked as she picked her up and kissed her on her cheek.

"Wan cheese cake Gwanny." She said.

Mom mom cut her a slice and fed it to her. I smiled at the two. Lalani wasn't supposed to be eating sweets this early and especially before dinner, so Angel was going to be mad. Mom didn't care. Her job was the hype her grand baby up with sugar and send them to Angel to deal with. She took amusement in watching Angel chase after Lalani.

"Gwanny it good." Lalani said chewing.

"I'm glad ya like it." Mom said kissing Lalani's chubby cheek and feeding her some more.

My mom was a short slightly chubby woman. She was light skinned, but had been with a dark skinned man when she had my sister and I. That was why we were more of a chocolate complexion and she wasn't.

"When you got get a man and have me some grand babies?" Mom asked.

"When you decide you won't feed them a huge amount of sugar and have them running through the house like Sonic the Hedgehog." I said.

My mom giggled and stuck her tongue out at me before handing Lalani to Lorenzo and coming back in thr kitchen. It was a Sunday, and Angel and I knew that drill. We were about to cook Sunday dinner while Lorenzo put Lalani down for a nap and set the table.

"Okay. We having fried chicken, fried fish, mashed potatoes, salad, greens, and cornbread." Mom said.

"Lorenzo when you put Lalani to sleep, come in here and make this iced tea!" Angel yelled to Lorenzo who was on the other side of by he house.

"Kay!"I heard him yell back.

Mom and I started washing and seasoning the fish and chicken. Angel worked on the greens. About an hour and a half later, we were done cooking and were making plates. I sat the plates of food on the table. Mom sat doen tired because she claimed she was to old to do all that labor. Angel sat the cups of tea down and we all sat down to eat dinner.

"Say grace Renz." Mom said.

"Yes ma'am." He said and then bowed his head. We all followed while holding each others hands. "Thank you for the food lord. Amen." Lorenzo said before opening his eyes and starting to eat.

Mom shokk her head and rolled her eyes before started to eat. Lalani sat in her high chair eating like there was no tomorrow. Angel of course got into mommy mode.

"Take you time and chew baby. You gon choke the way you wating." She scolded.

"Yesh mommy." Lalani said as she slowed down.

We all made small talk about our lives and what we had been up to. When everyone turned their attention to me, I sighed knowing what was coming.

"Met anybody?" Mom asked.

"No. Mom, I haven't." I said.

"I know a fine young man at church that has had his eye on you for years. Since you all was about five. Mh. He would make a great husband for you." Mom said.

I pursed my lips and rolled my eyes. Here we go. She always does this. She'll start telling me how I need a man and who would make a good husband for me.

I'm not trying to get into a relationship with anybody right now. I just want to get where I need to be in my career and maybe by the time I'm 30, then I'll think about getting married and relationships. I don't want to be like my sister. She's stuck at home with a kid and a husband. She feels that she should be a stay at home mom because kids need attention. I don't want to be that. I want to be a career woman and by the time I actually get my career to where it needs to be, then I'll be ready.

"No. I refuse to talk about this. You always do this every time I come over here you start on me about getting a man. The world doesn't revolve around getting a man. You aren't even married, so how can you tell me to do so?" I asked.

"Well then since you want to be an ass about it. I'm just looking out for you. You don't date, you don't go out, you don't do shit. You just sit there and work work work. You need a man to cone rub ya feet and lay with ya at night. I was just looking out for your happiness so forgive me for caring. I'm a mother and that's what I tend to do, but you grown now so I guess I'll stop." She said before taking a sip of her wine.

"I'm sorry mom. I didn't mean it like that. I'm just tired of you acting like I just need a man for basic survival and I dont. You are doing great and you aren't even married. So why should i have to be?" I asked.

"I date though. You on the other hand are lonely as hell. I was married and had children at you age. Your daddy was my everything before he died. Lord bless his soul." Mom said.

"Who wants seconds? I know I do." Lorenzo said trying to decrease the tension in the room.

"Meee!" Lalani said happily.

We all made our plates for seconds and sat back down to eat. I was releaved mom seemed to have dropped the subject. I didn't want to talk about it anymore. It was as if she thought I just had to have a boyfriend or a husband.

"You still need a man." Mom mumbled causing Angel to giggle and me to snack my lips.

She never gives up.

Comment and vote.
What do you think about Queen and her fam?