[45] Hey Baby, It's Only Life.

The chapter with a lot of talks- the denial talks, the angry talks, the -- wait, I'm not telling anything. You'll hafta read to find outt ;))) 

Song of the chapter is "It's Only Life" by Kate Voegele.. quite suits the mood of this chapter, I think. Link to the side :P Read on and enjoy xx

--

Later that evening after the boys' soccer practice ended, Sean and Zac headed back towards the girls' room to kick back for a bit.

"So, I saw that Blake kid again," Zac rolled his eyes as his mind went back to an encounter that happened earlier that day. "I hate him and his guts . . ."

"Oh?" Ashley looked at him curiously. "Who's he?"

"A sophomore who likes getting on Zac's nerves," Sean commented from his position next to Gabriella's bed. He had his back against the blonde's bed, while Gabriella had turned over and was on her stomach, her head propped up by her elbows.

Gabriella laughed as she swung her legs back and forth. "What did he say this time?"

"Something about teaching me how to play soccer," Zac muttered.

Ashley chuckled. "You didn't hit him when he said that, did you?"

Zac stared at her. "Do I look like someone who'd go around throwing punches at random people, to you?"

"No," Ashley replied slowly, trying to look and sound as serious as possible. "You're soccer crazy and you pretty much looked ready to kill me when I dumped coffee on your lucky sweatshirt," she teased.

Zac tensed up. "I thought we were over that."

"We are," Ashley laughed. "I was just messin' with you."

Zac laughed weakly. "No, I didn't punch him or anything."

"Though, I think had this happened at the beginning of this school year, Zac would've surely beaten him to pulp," Sean commented.

"Yeah," Gabriella agreed. "After all, you're turning into a softie because you're in love," she teased, forgetting for a second that Ashley was there too. "Zac, you should—"

"I'm not in love!" Zac interrupted Gabriella, before sneaking a glance at Ashley. "Though, I must admit I've a thing for this one girl . . ."

"So you've a crush on this girl due to which you've turned into a softie," Ashley grinned. "Who's she?" she asked, not being able to help being a tiny bit hopeful and very, very curious.

There was pin drop silence in the room for a few moments as Ashley and Zac stared at each other, while Sean and Gabriella looked back and forth between their friends.

"Don't worry, it's not you," Zac replied as casually as possible, after long silence.

Ashley was shattered. Her jaw clenched together and her posture tensed the least as she tried hard not to say something she'd regret saying.

For everybody in the room, it seemed like time froze; even Zac was regretting having said that. Within the past minute, it felt like the temperature in the room had dropped by a hundred degrees.

Staring between the two, Gabriella opened and closed her mouth like a fish, unable to believe the words that came out of Zac's mouth a few moments earlier.

After what seemed like ages, Ashley laughed weakly. "Th- that's nice."

At the sound of her voice, Zac felt extremely guilty. 'I shouldn't have lied,' he thought. 'I'm such a dick.'

Sean let out a low whistle. "Okay," he sighed. "Z—" he began with the intention of making both of his friends confess about their feelings for each other, but was interrupted by Ashley.