[24] Young Hearts, Out Our Minds.

Song of the chapter is "Die Young" by Ke$ha. :) 

--

Ashley and Gabriella were in their room, working on their homework assignments.

"Hey Gab," Ashley sounded hesitant. "Can I ask you something?"

Gabriella looked up from the Biology assignment that she was working on. "Yeah, obviously you can . . . what's bothering you?"

Ashley sighed. "If I go talk to Zac, d'you think he will talk?" she asked the blonde with an edge of uncertainty in her voice.

Gabriella grinned. "Of course he will."

"D'you think I should try and talk to him, right now?"

"Yes, yes you should," the blonde replied enthusiastically.

"I think I'll go look for him then," Ashley said firmly as she got up after pushing her books away. "I'll go right now."

"Are you sure you wanna do this, Ash?" Gabriella asked.

"Yeah I'm pretty sure," Ashley confirmed. "I've had too much of this 'ignoring' bullshit."

"Great then," Gabriella's eyes lit up. "Go ahead and talk to him now, this instant!"

Ashley almost laughed at her friend's eagerness. "Okay, okay, I'm going," she said as she waved at the blonde. "Bye."

As the door shut, Gabriella heaved a sigh of relief. "Finally . . ." she murmured to herself.

***

Ashley had been looking around the campus for fifteen minutes, with no success. She hadn't found Zac yet. Finally, she decided to call up Sean and ask him if any of Zac's whereabouts.

"Hey Ash!" Sean sounded unnaturally cheerful as he answered the call. "What's up?"

"Hi Sean," Ashley exhaled loudly. "D'you have any idea about where Zac might be? I kinda wanted to talk to him about . . . stuff."

"What happened?" Sean asked, sounding concerned. "Is everything alright?"

Ashley rolled her eyes impatiently. "Nothing happened. I just needed to talk to him, and I have been looking around for him since—"

"Yeah I got it! Did you check the basketball court?" he asked excitedly. "That's where he said he was headed to, after practice got over. He might still be there."

"Oh!" Ashley exclaimed. "Okay then, I'll go check there. I'll talk to you later; I've gotta do this first."

"Sure, Ash," Sean grinned. "Talk to you later."

"Thanks Sean, bye." Ashley smiled as she hung up the phone and turned towards the opposite direction; the direction of the gym.

At the other end of the line, Sean heaved a sigh of relief. 'Mother of God . . . finally.'

***

Ashley rushed towards the basketball court in a hurry. As she got closer, she started feeling extremely nervous and anxious about what she was about to do. When she was right next to the doors of the Gym, Ashley hesitated. She peeked inside to see Zac doing a layup. She noticed his expression and realized that he looked tired and frustrated. Ashley got cold footed, and decided not to try and talk to Zac at that moment.

"Maybe some other time," Ashley sighed. As she turned around to leave, she almost slipped. To stop herself from falling, she held on to the door for support and stiffened up as the door creaked loudly. Ashley stole a frightened glance in Zac's direction and noticed that he had stopped practicing layups and was apprehensively staring at the door instead.