[19] Can't Look Away.

Tuggin' & Pullin' On My Little Heartstrings

: : chapter 19 : : 

Song of the chapter is Just So You Know by Jesse McCartney.

--

That day, Zac, Sean, Jayden, Heath and Daniel reached earlier than usual for soccer practice. They killed time by making casual talk as they hung around in the locker rooms, waiting for the rest for their team to arrive. The five of them had reached there early were ready to play even before the rest of the guys reached the ground.

"Guys," Zac spoke up hesitatingly, starting to say the thing he'd been dreading all day. "I'm so sorry for having acted like a dick today; I was really pissed about stuff," he paused. "Confused too," he added as an afterthought.

"What happened?" Daniel asked.

Zac simply shook his head, ignoring Daniel's question. "Jade made me see sense, and that's when I realized what a dick I had been acting like."

"Jade?" Heath asked. "When did you talk to her about this stuff? What is it that happened?"

"I met her during recess."

"Oh," Heath nodded. "Right."

"By the way, don't keep her hanging there man, you know she likes you," Zac advised.

"What do I do about it?" Heath frowned.

Zac shook his head, "Nothing. Just don't keep her hanging in there by behaving differently with her. Either you should totally ignore her so that  she gets over you, or you just be normal with her so that she doesn't raise her hopes with you only to have them crashed again. Don't keep her hanging."

Heath looked confused. "Oh, alright . . ."

"Anyway," Sean looked at Zac, concerned. "Are you sure that everything's okay man?"

Zac nodded. "Yeah."

"What's it that got you all . . . weird today?" Jayden asked, sounding serious.

"It's uh," Zac paused. "It's about Ashley. That's it."

Heath raised his eyebrows. "What about her? Are you into her?"

"Long story . . ." Zac muttered.

Heath nodded as he realized that Zac wasn't exactly going to answer his question right then. "I'm gonna go out. I'll meet you guys on the field," he said before he made his way out of the locker rooms.

"It's okay," Jayden patted Zac's back. "We know you're whipped."

Zac flashed him the bird before clearing his throat. "Let's get to practice now. It looks like the rest of the guys are here."

*

After practice, Sean, Zac, Haley, Daniel and Jayden decided head towards Ashley and Gabriella's room where they knew the four girls would be. As they entered, they notice Gabriella, Jade and Victoria sitting together on one bed and talking quietly, while Ashley was cuddled up on the couch with her earphones plugged in, looking like she was sleeping with a quilt wrapped around her.

"Hey!" Haley greeted the girls as she entered the room, the boys trailing behind her.

"Hi guys."

"Hey y'all."

"Done with practice?"

Sean yawned. "Yeah."

By the time Zac entered the room, he saw that there was no place to sit, anywhere at all.