Don't Leave Me

Superboy finished bringing in the last box of belongings and computer parts salvaged from Mount Justice. It'd only been hours since Aqualad had raided and destroyed the Cave, and he still couldn't wrap his head around what had happened.

Garfield, Bart, and Jaime, the younger boys, had been captured while Nightwing and Superboy were left to certain death had the apprentice of Batman not known his stuff and hacked three inhibitor collars so that the two of them, Wolf, and Sphere could escape. And just barely, at that.

And Kaldur's threats...was that really the Aqualad who had lead them, counseled them, cared for them? Connor found it hard to believe that his old friend could become a murderer so easily, even when Artemis had died in front of him, he was reluctant to believe it.

But no one, no one, hurt Garfield.

With a cry of rage, Superboy drew back his fist and punched a shelf of books. Some fell to the floor, some pages were torn out, and other books were snapped cleanly in half.

Enough. He needed sleep. Maybe Clark's apartment in Metropolis, he had a spare key. Or even the Kent farm out in Kansas. Connor left the books where they were and headed for the exit.

Passing by an old closet, Connor's sensitive ears picked up a quiet sobbing noise. It was a sound he knew all too well.

He quietly peeked in the door and saw Miss Martian curled up in a ball in the corner.

Torn over what to do, Superboy eyes the front entrance, trying to decide if it was better to comfort M'gann or wiser to leave her alone.

"Don't go."

It was quiet, but his sensitive ears caught it.

"Please, don't go." Her eyes were on the floor, but she knew he was there.

Superboy opened the door so it was just wide enough for his muscular form to squeeze through, and sat next to M'gann on the floor.

"I...I can't believe they're gone." She whispered, still not looking at him.

Connor sighed. "Neither can I."

M'gann held back a sob, hugging her legs to her chest. "Artemis, La'gaan-" Connor tensed at his name, "-Gar, even Kaldur!" She rested her chin on her knees.

"I miss them."

"I do too." Connor whispered.

It was quiet for a moment, and then M'gann threw her arms around Connor.

"Don't leave me, please. Connor don't go." She whispered through her tears.

Overcome with emotion, Connor didn't care that she was hugging him when they were supposed to have broken up.

He hugged her back, "I'm here, M'gann. And I'm not going anywhere."