Incredibles AU

art and request by space-buns

"Are we there yet?" Clark growled. Playing with only half a deck of cards was hard enough without playing against a big sister who was a telepath.

"We get there when we get there!" Mister Super growled in the same tone as his son.  He yanked the driver's side window open, and the wind ripped through the van and took the rest of the cards and anything else not strapped in with it.

Connor stuck his head out the window, yelling above the wind. "How ya doing, Megan?"

"Do I have to answer!?" She shouted back. Miss Elastic was stretched to her limit holding the van between what was left of the wings of the Lexcorp Rocket that had brought them here, and Megan was nowhere near as strong as Connor.

At least they were coming in to Metropolis. Connor could see the smoke from where he was.

"Kids! Strap yourselves in like I told you!" Connor shouted, leaning over the steering wheel.

Marie and Clark quickly clicked their seatbelts into place, staring up at the mostly broken computer screens showing the reports of all the attacks by Lexcorp's rogue droid.

"Ready Marie?" Connor shouted.

"Ready!" Marie replied. She raised her hand, poised over the big red button.

Connor waited until just the right moment. "Now!"

Marie's hand slammed down, and the gun on the roof of the van shot at the seam where the wings were held together. Megan let go, letting the wings fall into the ocean below, and they were free-falling.

"This is gonna be rough," Megan crawled in the open window, strapping herself in as Connor hit the gas. Marie and Clark braced themselves in their seats, relying on their dad to shield them if they crashed.

They hit the freeway at a hundred and twenty miles per hour, bounced once, and continued, swerving left and right to avoid the much slower-going cars.

"The Lexcrop Superdroid is in the financial district, how do I get there?" The signs were going by too fast for him to read and avoid the cars at the same time.

"Traction Avenue," Megan pointed to a sign as it whizzed past.

"That'll take me downtown, I take Seventh, don't I?" Connor veered towards the nearest exit.

"DON'T TAKE SEVENTH!" Megan shouted. On instinct, Connor pulled away.

"Great! We missed it!"

"You asked me how to get there, and I told you. Exit at Traction!"

"That'll take me downtown!"

"It's coming up GET IN THE RIGHT LANE!"

"We don't exit at Traction!"

"YOU'RE GONNA MISS IT!" 

With a shout, Connor zoomed into the turnoff. Marie screamed as they shot through a red light and nearly tripped over five cars. A speed bumped finally hit them, and the car rolled over like a dog waiting for a belly scratch. It finally stopped in a perfect parallel parking job.

Connor sighed. "Is everybody okay?"

Marie and Clark were giggling like they'd just gotten off a roller coaster.

"Super-duper, Dad!"

"Let's do that again!"

Megan and Connor smiled at their kids. They remembered how much fun it used to be, the adrenaline, the excitement, back when Supers were accepted and embraced.

Screams outside the van broke their reverie, and through the heavily cracked windshield, they saw the Superdroid marching past, its guns a-blazing and far beyond even Luthor's control.

"Stay here and stay safe. I'm going in." Connor told his family. He ducked out of the van before they could stop him.

Megan jumped out and her hand stretched out to grab him by the shoulder. "While what? I watch helplessly from the sidelines? I don't think so!"

"I'm asking you to stay with the kids!" Connor begged and Marie and Clark poked their heads out of the van.

"And I'm telling you not a chance! You're my husband, I'm with you." Megan tilted Connor's chin to make him look at her. "For better or worse."

Connor took Megan's hands and pushed her away. "I have to do this alone."

"Why? So you can play Mister Super again?" Megan demanded.

"No! I'm not- I'm not-"

"You're not what?"

"Not strong enough!"

"And this will make you stronger!?" Megan waved wildly towards the damage the Superdroid had already inflicted on the city.

"Yes- No!" Connor couldn't seem to make up his mind.

"That's what this is? Some sort of workout!?"

Connor seized Megan by the shoulders and shook her. "I CAN'T LOSE YOU AGAIN!"

Marie and Clark watched in shock as their parents were silent, both breathing heavily.

"I can't," their father whispered. 

"Not again. I'm not...strong enough."

Megan put her arms around her husband's neck and kissed him. "If we work together, we won't have to be." She told him.

Connor shook his head. "I don't know what'll happen."

Megan smiled, brushing Connor's bangs out of his eyes. "Hey, we're superheroes. What could happen?"

Sorry it's short. Recently watched The Incredibles and ColleenODriscoll wanted an update