Stood Up

~~PROMPTS!!~~

Don't forget to submit your one-shots!! We've got a little over two weeks left and I would love to see what you guys write!

I'll be there soon. Logan's text read. Megan nodded and headed for the hostess. She might as well get their table so that they didn't give the reservation to anyone else.

"Name?"

"Morse, party of two." She smiled, and the hostess looked over her shoulder.

"Oh, he's coming, he had to work and he's running a little late." Megan assured her, reading the look on the hostess's face. Nodding slowly, the middle-aged woman took two sets of silverware and two menus and summoned a waiter to take Megan to the table.

It was a tiny, splindly thing. Megan doubted it would hold her, Logan, and all their food.

She sat down at the table, ordered two waters, and opened up the menu.

She loved eating. Logan never had a cause to object because they each agreed to pay for their own meals. Megan was bordering on becoming a professional food critique or staying a chef at her hometown's little bakery and cafe. Making food was fun, but she never got to eat any of it!

Her eyes ran up and down and up and down the menu options over and over again, trying to discern which option sounded best.

"Are you ready to order, ma'am?" The waitress had returned. In surprise, Megan looked at the clock and saw that five minutes had already passed.

"I'm going to wait for him, thank you."

"Are you sure you don't want an appetizer?"

Megan shook her head, smiling kindly at the patient waitress. "He's usually late. He always comes."

The waitress nodded slowly too, and moved on to her next table.

"You'll see," Megan added, more for herself than the waitress. She checked her phone. No further message from Logan.

Are you stuck at work again? Need me to pick you up? She asked. 

As she hit "Send" she got a heavy feeling in her chest.

Megan went on to choose mozzarella sticks for an appetizer, but couldn't decide on a mian. She set down her menu to think, watching the ice cubes in Logan's untouched cup melt.

The family next to her was seated, ordered their food, and finished by the time the waitress came back.

"Are you sure you don't want to order, sweetie?" Her badge read "Karen". 

"I'm fine."

Megan ordered the mozzarella sticks. Logan didn't text back.

As Megan nibbled on the mozzarella sticks, she saw Karen walk down to the end of the row of tables, talking to a tall, dark-haired busboy who had his back to Megan. Karen whispered emphatically to him, and he nodded. Once he finished clearing off his table, he disappeared inside the kitchen.

Megan sighed, and pulled out her wallet to pay. Everyone else was gone, and it was almost closing time. She was just about to wave Karen back over when someone sat down in the seat she'd been saving for Logan.

"Sorry I'm late, traffic was terrible, I'm so sorry. Did you wait for me to order, you didn't have to do that."

The new arrival blocked his face from view of the kitchen with his menu, and whispered to Megan. "If you don't mind, my name's Connor. Whoever didn't show up is a jerk." He opened up the menu and his baby-blue eyes flicked back and forth across the menu options.