Angels AU (Part Three)

There will be one more part for this AU, (should I make this into its own book? It's so popular I feel that I should....) If so, I might make it longer. Comment your ideas if you have any for this Alternate Universe!! :-)

"M'gann, does your new school have a...Homecoming?" Connor asked, unsure how the question would be recieved. He knew M'gann was fascinated with Earth's "Girl" culture, but he wasn't certain if Homecoming was a "Girl" thing.

"Yeah, our game is on Friday!" M'gann told him excitedly, pausing in her math homework.

"So's ours." Connor stared at his AP Lit paper, not really reading the questions.

"Are you going?" M'gann asked.

"To what?"

"Homecoming!" M'gann traced the pattern in the carpet. "I...I noticed Michelle wanted you to ask her."

Connor paused. He hadn't given homecoming much thought, to be honest. He usually didn't go to such school events, besides the football games, that is.

"No." He decided at last.

"Oh." M'gann hugged her legs to her chest.

"I really don't want to spend another night with people I have absolutely no interest in being around." Connor told her honestly.

"I see," M'gann said, sounding a little less disappointed as she drummed her pencil against her notebook.

Her face brightened with a sudden thought. "You could come to my homecoming! I could introduce you to all my new friends! I bet you'd love them!" She squealed.

Connor looked at her doubtfully. "Are...Are you sure?" He asked hesitantly. "I don't really get along well with many people..."

"Oh they're not full-blown egotistical jocks, like your friends on the team, but some of them do play sports, and they're not total popular kids either." She said.

"Please? I've never been to homecoming before, and I can't imagine going without you! Connor, you're my best friend!"

He could hear the hopeful undertone lying beneath her words. Hope to him saying yes, and hope at something a little bit more...

But she couldn't mean it like that, could she?

"Okay, I'll go." He said at last.

M'gann gasped, "You will!?" Connor was overwhelmed, and couldn't help but smile at the joy that appeared in her beautiful brown eyes.

"Of course I will."

M'gann stopped, "I didn't guilt trip you or anything, did I?" She asked, biting her lip.

Connor shook his head, a smile tugging at the corners of his mouth. "No, You were right. It does sound like fun."

-------

That Friday was his school's homecoming game. M'gann's school had their game that same night, and both homecomings were tomorrow. For Connor, it was no contest which dance to choose. He'd go to his school's football game to make his father happy, and join M'gann at her school's homecoming.

Today was the big game. They'd have five more games at least before the end of the season, but this was their homecoming game, they had to win.

There were two minutes left on the clock, and both teams were tied, struggling on the field to get any farther than the middle line.

"Luthor, get your head in the game!" Max snapped at him. Connor shrugged it off. The coach had been telling him how well he'd been doing all night. Max was just jealous.

Connor looked back up at the stands, where M'gann was seated in the front row with her uncle. J'onn had gotten a job working as a police officer across the city, and he and M'gann were working on assimilating themselves with the help of Connor and the various TV programs they watched.

M'gann stood up and cheered, and even over the high-pitched squeals of Michelle and her wannabes Connor could only hear her. He waved to her. Surprised, she waved back. J'onn did too. Then Connor had to focus on the huddle.

"Josh, you run a thirty-two trap down the left side, toward Connor and Max. I want the two of you try and stay open, and Josh, you pass the ball to whoever's open and closest to the goal."

Coach dismissed the huddle, but Max put a hand on Connor's shoulder.

"Don't get open," was all he said. With one last dark, threatening look He marched off to them end of the field. 

Unshaken by Max's words, Connor pulled his helmet back up over his head. But his blood began to boil as he spotted Max eyeing the stands. Right where M'gann was sitting. 

Max would never touch M'gann again, not as long as Connor had any say about it.

Connor followed Max down to the end of the field, trying so very hard to keep from knocking out all of Max's teeth.

The whistle blew, and the opposing team's colors of blue and orange charged after Josh. Josh faked to Nishan, who knocked down about half the other team. Connor looked to his left and saw that the other half of the team was blocking Connor.

"So much for staying open." He muttered. He caught the ball as Josh threw it, and he lobbed it over the huddle for a touchdown.

The crowd from the Home section of the bleachers erupted in cheers, and Connor saw M'gann practically flying towards him from across the field. Josh and a few of Connor's other teammates lifted him up on his shoulders for a victory lap around the field.

"Congratulations, Connor." Michelle said seductively as they deposited him in front of the bleachers.

"Connor!" M'gann squealed. Surrounded by all the other cheerleaders, Connor only had eyes for M'gann as she broke through the crowd and threw her arms around his neck.

"You did it!" She screamed.

Connor chuckled and hugged her back. "What, you didn't think I could?" He smirked, and in a bold move, M'gann kissed his cheek.

He felt her mind reach out to brush his. "I never doubted my hero."

Connor touched his cheek where M'gann had kissed it, and M'gann smiled shyly at him.

Michelle screamed with envy as Connor kissed M'gann back-- on the lips!

"M'gann?" Connor asked over their mindlink while the rest of the crowd continued to cheer.

"Will you be my date for homecoming?"