Chapter 27 : Gone with the wind!

He advanced to give a hug and greet, I bent down to pick his luggage. I turned my back towards him and moved ahead without making any eye contact.

"The rituals have started. We should be there with him. There is only one room available and apparently I am using it. I will show you way to that room, you can use that and I will move out from there. Change yourself and get back soon, he needs you there by his side," I spoke in one breath without giving him any chance to open his mouth. The sight of him had layers attached to it. There was anger, frustration and somewhere deep within was happiness to have seen him.

He had put on a few kilos around the tummy and the stubble look enhanced his intense looking face. His dressing sense had not changed much compared to the college days. A Jean and a shirt, jacket and boots to go with it.

"You need not move out of the room, we could stay in one," he said following me. His voice still had the adamancy. I could not sense any pinch of guilt in it. Well, I was only over thinking. The entire world had moved maybe whilst I was still stuck at what had happened. I continued to walk carrying his backpack. He seemed to have come alone, I was interested to know about Aarti, but I knew I was not strong enough to listen to it from him about how she was. It would have been very awkward, had she come here. I concluded thinking that and moved inside the room. I placed the bag and turned to move when be stood in front of me. His face was plain, and that expression ignited a small flame within.

"I will be out with my parents, get ready and I shall see you later," I moved out and the door slammed a thud behind me. I knew he was not liking the way I behaved with him. This was the best I could put up with.

I walked out and reached the hall to see the guests walking up the stage and congratulating the bride and the groom. I went and sat on a chair in front of the couple. There was a sparkle in both their eyes. Both their faces spoke of their victory, the victory of love. Nishant had clasped her hand tight, and that seemed a real sweet gesture. My brother was now a man who was big enough to take care of his lady. The atmosphere on the stage was just too positive. Blessings from the elder people, good wishes from their friends and foes was heart touching. The groups of people kept moving. I sat there observing what was happening to only get lost and diverted from what my mind was thinking. It was almost half past eight and the lights went dim. The organiser had planned something different. People in groups at every corner looked at the stage as a spotlight was thrown in the middle. Everyone of us waited to see what was going to happen.

Nishant took the center and went on his knees. The entire hall went hooting. I was surprised to see what he was doing. Payal always had one complain that he had never proposed her properly. I was impressed to see that Nishant wanted to fulfill that before he actually married her. I turned to the right to see Tanmay coming out of the room and he stood by the stage. I pursed my lips and smiled at him. He stood there looking at the couple. Payal's face had turned pink and the sparkle in her eyes was now mixed with tears.

He fixed his gaze with hers. The entire hall went dead silent when he was about to talk.

"I cannot change the past nor can I promise about the future, all I can talk about is today. I do not promise fifty, sixty years of togetherness, all i want to say is, let us live each day as it comes with out the need to change anything about yesterday and without having any expectations about tomorrow; who knows, living each day, we might just cover an entire life time," the entire crowd was intently looking at him. He took Payal's hand and landed a kiss on it.

"Ever since I have met you, I have wanted to say this, you came into my life and every thing feels perfect and it feels as though I have found purpose to live. Yes, I guess it's time I finally ask, will you be mine?" Tears dropped from her face with the genuine smile.