Chapter 1: Screwed up!

" The number you are trying to call is currently switched off."

        This was the 20th time I had heard it. If I had heard it again then may b I would be blabbering the same in sleep. But the point was Aarti had switched her phone off for past 5hours.

         It was 9.40 in the night and my cube was surrounded by a pile of papers that required my attention, a half drunk coffee cup and an almost about to fall types name plate that read MAYANK SHARMA.

        A thought just flew across my mind that in a way built in fear and subjected me to a peer pressure. Mr Agarwal, my strict manager wanted me to submit him the audit of certain files before 10.15. But her phone being switched off for a long duration had snatched my ability to work, off me.

          "Half an hour left mayank, and if u fail to submit the audit, forget the way to the office"  said Mr agarwal. This stern voice did shake me up. This was the third warning I had heard from him and that was the reason I probably was freaking out. I just wanted to get out of office and beat all this as it was growing way beyond my tolerance level.

          I started the work at 9.50. My only aim was to finish the given work and wanted to move out. My actual log out was at 12.30 but I knew I couldn't stay here for more than an hour. With all these thoughts and Aarti on the other side had actually made me very weak. She wouldn't do anything of this sort. But this time I guess I had screwed it up.

        On finishing the work which had taken 10mins more than the given time. I was scared to enter Agarwal's cabin.

" May I come in sir?" my troubled voice made an attempt to catch his attention. I entered on seeing him nod. I jus wanted to keep the file on the table and walk away. But I needed permission to take an off.

"should I ask? will he permit me? what if he does not?" I asked it to myself. I had just entered and was staring at the clock with things running at the back off the brain.

" Mr Sharma, finally I see that you managed to submit it. But you seem too stressed. If that in any way would have caused any errors in the work, I need not say, I hope you know the result of it!" said my in-human manager. "Sir, I need an off now" with out thinking I just uttered that and later realised that I had not paid attention to what he said.

       I had not bothered to even tell him about completing the work he had given. For all that mattered to me now was Aarti and the conversation we had.

        On hearing my need for a break, the not-so-human manager proved that he did have a little mercy. " You may take an off Mr Sharma, but I need you to either log in 2hrs early or log out 2hrs late. Do not mistake me, I am not a stone hearted fellow but I am answerable to my higher authorities and that is when I come across as stern to you all fellow employees. You may leave now. " Mr agarwal, on telling this sat to check my work. With out even thinking for a second I moved out of his chamber happy on getting the permission.

I moved to my cubicle, packed my bag and informed Alok my colleague and left.

        I worked at Acura solutions as an analyst with a descent pay with which I could support my family and fulfill the needs of my girl-Aarti. But whr was she. I was never as worried as this ever before. I moved to the cafeteria ordered for a black coffee and sat on the table out.
          I had completed my engineering two years back and had got into this company through campus. I would be completing my 25th birthday in two months. I was dwelling in Mumbai since my work started. I actually am from Bangalore. At home are my parents and a younger brother who is least bothered about anything other than his gymming.
           The coffee I ordered for had come and I checked my watch, which read as 10.40. The outside of the cafeteria had this cool breeze which blew on my face and made my slightly long hair dance to it. Aarti loved this and she always used to stare at my hair play with the wind and meddle with it gently. I miss that. I miss her. I was longing to hear her voice ever since we faught. I should not have let it grow big. "Have I lost it, have I lost her" I was fighting these thoughts and sensed my lower eye lids go wet. I couldn't b crying this way. I just wanted to make sure things are fine with her and wanted to talk to her and apologize. I took the phone to ring her again. This time for my surprise I didn't hear the stupid lady tell the chant I had heard for 20times. I could hear the connecting beep, I could hear the ring next. With every ring that I heard I could hear my heart beating way too faster. "pick up, pick up" I said to myself . Naa! she had not received it. This made me go weak. The negative instinct I had was just getting stronger. I wanted to ring her again, but somewhere I knew that she wouldn receive it again. I still gave it a try. Yet again got to hear the same.  I just threw the phone on the table and sat back with my wrists wrapped with each other and sensed my lower eye lids go heavy.
          The table vibrated and the reason could only be my phone. Yes! it was my phone that set the table vibrating. The adrenalin rush set me up, the sense of expectation grew strong. The vibration was for a shorter duration. knowing the was of the vibration I knew it was a text message I had received. Taking the phone in hand, the process of predicting what the message would be had started. Thousands of options filled in.
         For my disaapointment it was not from her. I had received a text from Aryan whom I knew since my schooling. I didn't want to read the text but something caught my attention. His text had Aarti typed in it. On seeing that I opened it to see something which was not a usual one.
         " Aarti doesn't want to stay in contact with you anymore. She informed to tell you that she has decided to set herself free and never get back to you
           Everything underneath just vanished. I felt my legs trembling and losing grip. I held the table beside to gain the strength. The thought that she wants to set herself free was indigestable. The days I had spent with her, memories we shared, her eyes which were worth dieing for flew across my eyes in a flash. The fight we had according to me were just like the other fights we used to have. Did it have such a huge impact? A decision about us was made and was not discussed or even given a try to be sorted. The worst part was that the desicion made was told to me not by her and a third person. Had our relation gone that weak that I had to hear this from Aryan?
         The very next moment I gave a call to Aryan for which he didn't respond. That just helped my anger and frustration grow. I gave him a call again and this time he disconnected and pinged me telling that he didn't want to talk to me about it. what did that mean! How can he not talk? how would I get to know about her if not him. Nothing worked out. Except that my anger grew to its highest degree.
           I left the cafeteria with me bag, loosened tie and a messed up hair. Any one who saw me would be able to guess I was fighting something. with heavy steps I reached the parking. Took out the key and tried to open the door of my car. In that mood, I didn't get the proper grip and the handle missed. I kicked the car and broke down with my head hitting the black top of the car. Yes by now tears were rolling down. I composed myself and set myself in the car. I didn't want anyone in the parking to see me break down.
          I wanted to head to Bangalore, break his bones nd teeth and get to know what it was. I got into the car gave her another call and now she disconnected it. This was just getting worse. Lumps were getting heavier.

        Dhruv my only solace over here, was the person I had as support here. I gave him a call, wanted to meet him. Being alone at this time was completely a wrong choice. But he didn't receive it either. Guess my day was destined to end this way. Started my Fortuner and just headed out of the parking lot. The time was 11.05 as per the radio which I stopped. I just wanted to stay alone. Without knowing where to go and what to do I was on the streets of Mumbai, Andheri precisely. Could hear the waves faintly and the breeze were pushing my tears. Without much ado, just headed to the Versova beach. May be a right place to be at. Saw a few people here and there taking there night walks. few youngsters sitting on the beach bed having fun with their gang of friends. Few stalls that sold hot Vadapavs, and few people around those stalls. Mumbai at night is unlike any other city. Filled with people and the cops not around to chase you.
           Parked and stepped out of the car and started walking. The tides were increasing and the sound of water splash was getting louder. Beach and its implicit ability to connect people with itself is what makes it a choice of anyone. Walked past the road and in search of a place to rest, I saw Le-Cafe that was a beach hotel set up by the Portuguese. It had a view of the beach, I entered it and ordered for Cafe Cortada and headed to the table which faced the beach. Sat on it and rest my hand on arm of the chair with chin resting on it. Some one who saw me would assume that I am lost in thoughts. But I was blank and riven with her reply.
           From where did Aryan come into the picture? And why did he have to react in that way? How do i extract things from him? People in the surrounding are dispersing as the night is getting more colder. I see faces in smiles, friends exchanging hi-fis, few walking with their music on. So many people moving around, but I am stuck here in a place, not the beach i mean!

_____________________________________________________________________________
     My note : 

                             This is my first venture, kindly read and encourage.
Notify the mistakes and help me for the next work. Put in your valuable comments and do vote!