Chapter Eleven

"He's really nice dad" I say with a tight smile on my face. 

This is possibly the second biggest lie I've ever told my dad. When I came out of the office I got a phone call from dad saying he wants me to come down.

"That's a surprise. Everybody tells me he's really strict" I nod my head and take a sip of the hot chocolate mum had made for me.

"I mean, he is strict but he has a way of showing his niceness" I tell him.

Dad nods his head and relaxes back on the sofa.

"I know I haven't been treating you properly but I was hurt when you told me you got an art degree. Sofie what were you thinking?"

"Dad, you know I love art" I tell him.

He rolls his eyes and takes a gulp from his own coffee.

"You can't love art Sofie, not in this family you can't. I am still very disappointed in you...you went behind my back and pulled a stunt like that. I am still very embarrassed from that tantrum you threw in front of Charley Peace"

"Dad, I'm your daughter. Does that not count for anything?" I ask with sadness.

My own father values someone else's opinion over his daughter's feelings. I love my dad but when he says stuff like this to me it hurts.

"Of course it counts. You are my only child, next time don't do something so stupid" He says sternly.

"Of course dad" Putting my cup down on the coffee table I get up from the sofa. "I should be going now, I need to collect some things from the shop" I tell him.

Mum immediately comes inside and pulls me in a hug. I put my arms around her and savor the moment. Mum is very short compared to me, I'm even taller than dad with my height being five-eight.

"Come around" She gives my arm a gentle slap and kisses my cheek.

"I will mum, I will try my best to. Being at the office all day and then coming home around six is a little tiring" I tell her. 

She smooths my hair and leads me to the door. I say goodbye to her and go into my car. If I told dad that I was heading to a craft shop then he would have killed me. I know what I'm going to do for my office now and hopefully it comes out really good.

*****************

I ended up buying so much things. The whole load in fact, I've wasted all my daily spending for the day but I'm not really bothered- buying this stuff is worth it. I set the bags on the floor as I unlock the door to the apartment. Once I've opened the door up, I pick up the bags and enter the room.

"Gerry, I'm home" I call out. 

Gerry gave me a call asking where I was and I told him that I went to the shops so I know that he's home. I expected him to say something back but he didn't. Locking the door behind me I leave the bags by the doorstep and walk inside to see Gerry sitting on the couch with papers laid out in front of him.

"Hey" He replies grumpily once he notices my presence.

"Have you eaten anything, shall I make you something?" I ask him.

"No, I ate with some of the guys" He says without looking up at me.

Looks like he's really busy then. Mum and dad forced me to eat at the house so I'm not hungry at all. Taking the bags to the bedroom I set them down onto the floor yet again and get out of my work clothes wearing on an old pair of jeans with a black t-shirt. Sitting down on the bed with my legs crossed I emptied out the bags. I really want to start doing some sketching for the office but where shall I even do it. Gerry is going to kill me if I do it in the room because I make a big mess. Might as well ask him.

Getting of the bed I skip back to were Gerry is.

"Gerry, can I ask you a question?" I sit down next to him on the sofa and put my arm around his shoulders.

"What?"

"I haven't got any space to do my stuff, can I do it here?" I ask him politely.

"What stuff?" This time he does look up at me.

"Well. My office is really dull and I wanted to do some sketching and painting for the walls. I know you won't let me do it in the bedroom" 

"Sof, I don't have time for this I'm really busy" He shrugs my arm off him and scoots away from me. 

Pain stabs my heart as I take in his actions. What is the matter with him?

"All I'm asking is permission to do my stuff here without disturbing you" My voice comes out a little louder without expected.

"Sofie stop bothering me! Can't you see that I'm trying to do my work?" He yells at me.

Getting up from the couch I point an accusing finger at him.

"All you had to do was answer a simple yes or no. I know you're busy that's why I was asking you one simple thing!" He gets up from the sofa with fury blazing in his eyes.

"Sofie, get out of the room before I get really angry"

"Angry? You're always angry! I don't know why but I don't like it. It's not you" I say trying to make him understand.

"Just leave!" He shouts out loud.

I quickly turn around and leave the room to go back to the bedroom. Shutting the door behind me, I lean my back against the wall. What has gotten into him these days, I never said anything wrong. I just asked him one simple question, if he didn't want me to do anything then he could have just said no. I wasn't going to throw a fit if he said no but instead he decided to dodge my question off-some men these days!