Chapter Six

"Mr Peace..." This man is so complicated and I thought guys were never like this but I guess we learn something new every day. "Mr Peace, wait up" He finally stopped in his tracks making me let out a deep sigh.

I walked to him as fast as I could in these pain aching heels and stood at least two cm away from his tense figure.

"What do you want Miss Koenraad?" He sounded tired...almost exhausted to even hear my voice but I'm not surprised, I haven't exactly given him a break.

"What you said earlier on..."

"What about what I said earlier on?" This time he turned around and raised an eyebrow at me waiting for me to carry on with my sentence.

"A..are you really offering me the job or was that so you can save me and my dad's relationship" He suddenly scoffed and let out a small laugh after that.

"You think I care about you and your father's relationship?" He let out another big laugh and started to take small steps towards me. "Quite frankly my dear, I couldn't give two shits"

"Then why did you offer me the job?" His brown eyes stilled and just bored into mine as I stared back with my blue's ones.

The atmosphere suddenly changed from being normal to tensed.

"Why do you want to know, aren't you cheerful enough that I even gave you this job because I can definitely take it back?"

"No please don't" I plead with him, his lips quirk up into an evil smile as if saying he's got me right where he wants me. "I...it's just you...and....um....-"

"The reason I offered you the job was because I've realised that you're not as stupid as I thought you were, you actually have common sense" I didn't know whether to take his factual opinion about me as a compliment or as an offense but coming from him I'll probably take it as a compliment.

It's not everyday someone hears a compliment from a big man like Charley Peace.

"When do I start?"

"Tomorrow, eight in the morning and if you're late considered yourself fired" He walked off and left me speechless yet again.

I need to make sure that I get the last word instead of him but that wouldn't exactly be wise to do. I still can't believe he gave me the job just because he realised that I've got common sense. Maybe I should have acted a bit smarter in my interview or whenever I was around him, it would have made my life a lot easier.

"Sof!" Gerry. He was coming from the direction that Mr Peace walked through. "I thought you left without me" He asks.

"No, I was just talking to Mr Peace" He nodded his head and looked around himself as if to make sure no one was hearing us.

"You know you don't need to call him Mr Peace, right?"

"I know but I feel more respectful calling him Mr Peace" Gerry rolls his eyes at me and leads me away from the corridor back to where we were before.

Right after Mr Peace told dad that I got the job I don't think I've ever seen dad so happy. He literally came over to me and wiped away my tears telling me how much he loves me and he regrets saying whatever he did but deep down I know that dad only loves me know because I got the job but I'm ok with that. My dad might love me for something I'm not happy with but at least that means he'll still be talking to me.

"Sofie can I ask you something?"

"You can ask me anything Gerry"

"Because you've now made up with your dad...does this mean you won't be staying with me anymore?" Oh God, I never even thought about that.

I really want to live with Gerry but I don't know if dad would still let me.

"I-"

"I'm guessing you're not. I'll be going off then, goodbye Sofie" Gerry took his arm off me and quickly walked out of the police station doors.

Did that really just happen? Why does something always have to go wrong when something right happens? I'll have to tell dad that I'm not an adult and living with my boyfriend is the right choice.

"Sofie come on, let's go home" Dad came beside me and was giving me a wide smile.

I couldn't help but smile back and walk out the doors with him. From the distance I could see Gerry driving out of the parking lot and onto the road. It's true, boys are more complicated than us girls.

"Dad?"

"Yes"

"Um...you know how you told me that if I didn't get a job then I couldn't stay underneath the same roof as you.." I could clearly hear dad let out a deep sigh.

"You know I didn't mean that Sofie, it was the anger talk, nothing else"

"I want to stay with Gerry dad" I blurt out.

Dad stops in his footsteps and just looks straight as I decide on continuing to speak.

"I'm an adult and I love my boyfriend, we both feel that we should be living together now. Dad I'm not a little girl anymore, I need to move on with my life and make my own decisions and I feel that by taking this one I can become more independent and stop relying on others for help" Dad never replied, he didn't even move.

"Sofie, I...I fully support your decision" My mouth went up into a huge smile.

I wanted to jump up and down but I didn't want to ruin the moment.

"Thank you so much dad" I walked towards him and gave him a big hug from the back.

He chuckled in response and patted my hand with his cold one.

"I'll drop you off because it looks like your boyfriend decided to leave you behind"

"Thank you dad" We both walked towards his car and got in.

(15 minutes later)

For the whole journey to Gerry's house the smile on my face never faded away. I've got a job which makes my father love me, Mr Peace now doesn't hate me anymore and I get to live with the person that I love the most. Gerry will be so surprised when he sees me.

"See you tomorrow darling" Mom said from the front seat.

"You too, bye" I get out of the car and walk towards the front door of the apartment. I'm just so glad Gerry's apartment was on the ground floor and not at the top; it saved me so much time. Knocking hard on the door impatiently I wait for him to open it.

"Calm down, I'm coming!" I hear him yell through the door.

The door quickly opens to reveal an angry looking Gerry but his face immediately softens up when he sees it's me.

"Sofie, what are you doing here?" Taking a step into the apartment, I shut the door behind me and lean against the door.

"Last time I checked, I live here with you..." He smiled very widely and picked me up in his arms.

Hopefully I'll always stay this happy.