Chapter Twelve

I find myself moving to the pace of the music from each step take I take. Gerry didn't even come to bed last night; he decided to sleep on the sofa. So, I'm going to give him the silent treatment as well. Nothing was my fault so why should I go and apologise to him for? I'm being the good person I am and making him realise what his mistake was.

Taking the headphones out of my ear I rest my hands on my knees and try to catch my breath. I really am out of shape; I need to get back to going for my early jogs again. Taking my car keys out of my hoodie pocket, I unlock the car and get in. I got my work clothes with me when I left the house. I know that I don't want to be around Gerry this morning; we'd probably start another fight. I'll get changed in the office. First stop is going to be Starbucks.

********

"Are you one-hundred per cent sure?" I ask the guy Bob behind the counter again.

"Positive, have a nice day" He tells me.

I give him a small smile and walk out. I got myself a chocolate muffin with some coffee for my breakfast and he decided to give it to me for free. I have no clue whatsoever but I couldn't reject. I sit back into the car and start eating the muffin as well as drinking the coffee as fast as I can. I hope I don't have to go through this every single day.

I spent a whole half an hour jogging and now I'm eating this chocolate muffin- I'm a really bad person. Once I've finished the chocolate goodness I look in the review mirror of the car to see if I've got anything in my teeth. Check-nothing there at all. I quickly get out of the car with the remaining coffee in my hand and my clothes bag slung on my arm.

Walking towards the building I see a very familiar figure and it's none other than Mr Peace as well. I hope he doesn't say anything to me. Wait, why would he anyway? I'm here, much early than I was yesterday. I'm sure he won't say a single word towards me. He was talking to some man, the man leaves and Mr Peace turns around with his eyes landing straight on me.

"Good morning Mr Peace" I say with enthusiasm.

His straight face turns into a frown as he stares me up and down; even in a good way. The way he looks at me all the time, it makes me feel like shit.

"What the bloody hell Koenraad" He spits out in disgust.

"Mr Peace I-" I take a step towards him when he gestures me back with his hand.

"I don't want you entering my building looking like that" He ran his finger up and down in the air indicating at my clothes.

I find myself looking down at my black Nike trainers, grey yoga pants and black hoodie.

"I can explain myself" I say desperately.

"I don't care Koenraad, you are not allowed to enter the building" He was about to turn around when I tell him not to. "Oh, so you're going to give me orders now?"

"Please Mr Peace. Me and my boyfriend, we ended up having a very big fight last night and it wasn't even my fault. It was his entire fault so I'm being the good person that I am and am avoiding him. I mean, he should realise his mistake. I left the house early for a jog and I didn't even eat breakfast before I left the house. I had to go to Starbucks and get myself a chocolate muffin with a cup of coffee" I say pointing to the coffee in my hand. "The man who was serving me, he was so nice, he gave it to me for free but that's not the point; my boyfriend is being an idiot for something I didn't so I left the house like this so I could avoid him" I let out a deep breath and look straight at him.

I could have told him my whole life story if I wanted to but he'd probably slap me across the face for being too annoying.

"I don't understand bullshit Koenraad. You are not allowed in my building until you meet the professional dress code. Get out of my sight!" He barks out.

I notice that a lot of people are watching the scene unfolding in front of them.

"I..I'll go. I promise I won't take so long" I promise him.

He simply rolls his eyes and flicks me off before going into the building. I guess that didn't go as planned. There's only one place I can get changed now.

***********

"Hey mum" I greet her happily.

She seems surprised by my appearance because she pulls me in for a hug straight away.

"What are you doing here, aren't you supposed to be at work?" She asks once I enter the house.

I show her the bag with my clothes in there.

"I went for a jog and when I came back Gerry had left. I forgot my spare key in the house so I decided to come here" I lie to her.

The amount of times I had to perfect that in the car, you have no idea.

"But how do you have your clothes on you then?" She asks me.

Mum, you're so predictable.

"I always keep an extra pair in my car in case they get dirty; you never know" She nods her head understanding.

"You better quickly get changed then- you don't want to be late"

"Of course mother"

***********

Run Sofie run! I scream to myself in my mind. I'm ten minutes late to when I normally start. Mr Peace is going to kill me!

"Sofie!" I hear Samantha call from behind me.

I turn my head around and run back to her desk.

"Yes?" I ask her breathlessly.

Stupid freaking traffic and stupid freaking parking space- curse them!

"Mr Peace is awaiting your presence in the meeting room and you don't have to knock, just walk straight in" She informs me with a smile.

I return it back and thank her. I immediately pick up my pace and start running again. I see the meeting room in front of me with what seems like light glowing from the door. I have now reached my destination; there isn't really any glow because I like to exaggerate on everything. Pulling the handle door I open the door to reveal everybody looking at me with wide eyes. What did I do?