Chapter Sixteen

"Are you sure you won't be late?" I ask Gerry for the sixth time.

He turns his head around giving me a smile.

"I told you, I called Rick and warned him that I was going to be an hour late- he was ok with it" He assures me.

I nod my head as he grabs hold of my hand walking me into the building. Gerry insisted that he's drop me off to work as I couldn't exactly carry my bag with me and it was quiet heavy.

"Just walk straight" I say giving him the directions.

We walk into the lift and wait to go to the top floor.

"This building is really big" Gerry says in awe as the lift door opens. I let out a small chuckle as we leave the lift onto the floor. Samantha looks up at me with a wide smile, her eyes glance over at Gerry and then at our intertwined hands.

"Hello Sofie" She calls out.

"Hi Samantha" We walk past her and go towards my door.

"So you have your own office as well?" Gerry asks.

I nod my head and am about to open my door when I see Mr Peace come out of his door looking around. His eyes glance around until they fall on me.

"Koenraad!" He bellows out.

I take a quick glance at Gerry to see him with a stern look on his face. If you spent a day here, you'd want to leave straight away.

"Come on" I tell him.

Gerry's hand tightens on mine as he leads me towards Mr Peace who has crossed his arms impatiently over his chest.

"Yes Mr Peace?" I ask him politely.

"I want you to stay in my office today and do your work. I have a private meeting with someone and I want you to go through my e-mail and reply back to everyone" He says

"Can I not do it in my own office?" I question him but then realise it was the wrong thing to say because he suddenly looked pissed off.

"No you cannot do in your own office. I only have my email set on my computer so you will stay in my office and carry out the tasks"

"Ok then" I tell him.

Looking back towards Gerry his eyes were focused on me making me smile.

"I should get going then" He says taking his hand out of mine.

"I'll call you" I remind him.

He leans forward and places a warm kiss on my lips making my cheeks heat up. Gerry gently places my bag on my shoulder and walks away leaving me to look after him, in the heat of the moment I forgot that Mr Peace was standing next to me. I look over at him expecting him to make a comment but the look of disgust which is displayed on his face is enough.

"Get in" He opens the door and walks in.

***************

Blimey hell, he sure does have a lot of emails. He has about six-hundred messages and that's all from today. No wonder he's always moody and grumpy, he has so much work to do it's unbelievable. The man Mr Peace was supposed to have a meeting with came in like five minutes ago when I was doing my work.

I should really take a break; my fingers are hurting from typing too much. Leaning back on Mr Peace's chair I inhale the leather, it seems just like Mr Peace and his cologne is really nice. I should suggest some of this stuff to Gerry.

Looking up from the computer screen I see Mr Peace listening to the other man talking while nodding his head. He looks so concentrated, he really does love his job, anyone can tell from the way he's devoted to everything in this building.

I take a glance over at the man and squint my eyes. He looks familiar, where have I seen him before? Looking around the room the realisation of who he is hits me hard. That bastard! I get up as quick as I can from the chair avoiding to bring further pain to myself and point an accusing finger at the man who has looked at me yet.

"You're a prick!" I say loudly.

Both him and Mr Peace turn to look at me. The man has a confused look on his face and on the other hand Mr Peace is giving me the biggest glare in the world.

"Excuse me?" The man says.

"Oh don't you excuse me. I know who the hell you are, you're a fraud. You worked for my dad and I know exactly why you're here as well. You're trying to get into Mr Peace's office so you can get all of his bank details; I'm not as stupid as I look!" Wait, did I just cuss myself? "What I meant to say was, I'm as smart as I look" I correct myself.

The man turns red in the face and gets up himself.

"Who the hell are you?" He asks in anger.

"The name's Sofie Koenraad, search it up and I'll be whooping your ass down the hall"

"You bitch!" He storms out of the room slamming the door behind him.

That escalated quickly. I look over at Mr Peace who is still seated in his seat and looking down at the floor.

"How did you know who he was?" Mr Peace asks me breaking the silence.

"He was intern at my dad's place and he screwed him over" Mr Peace nods his head and gets up from his chair.

"It's your lunch break, get out of here" He walks towards me as I quickly move away to exit the room.

A thank you would have been nice but no, not with him. I walk towards the canteen when I realise something. Gerry made me lunch and I don't exactly have any money on me. But the bad thing from this is that I left my bag in Mr Peace's room. Hopefully, he doesn't get mad at me. I walk back towards his room and knock on the door, he replies so I open the door.

"Sorry to interrupt" I tell him.

"What you doing back here?" He asks.

"I left my bag" I say pointing to the side of his desk.

He looks down at my back.

"Take it and leave" He says in an irritated tone.

Moving towards his desk I go down on my knees and grab my bag as I can't bend down. Getting back up on my feet Mr Peace is concentrating at his computer screen. Doesn't he have a lunch break himself? Better yet, does he even eat anything? I open my bag up and get out a container of food.

"Would you like to eat some?" I ask him. He looks up at me and at the container. I feel myself shrinking a little from the look he's giving me. I place the container at his desk and give him a wide smile. "Enjoy" I say to him.

I quickly turn around on my toes and leave the office in a panic.

***********

"I'll be down in five minutes" Gerry informs me through the phone.

"Alright, I'll be waiting in the lobby" I reply back.

"Bye" I cut the phone of and start to leave my office and see a man come out of Mr Peace's office.

He looks up at me and it's as if he knew me but a wide smile broke out on his face.

"Hello" I find myself saying.

He takes hold of my hand shaking it and pulling me down to his height kissing me on either sides of my cheek. Do I know this man? I've never seen him before in my entire life. He pulls away patting my cheek and walking past me. What just happened?!