Chapter Two

I can't believe it. I can't believe he never gave me a chance...I thought that he would have at least listened to what I had to say but he didn't. I guess what people say are right, he lives down in a ribcage in the dry leaves of a heart. I don't know what to do now, dad will kick me out or kill me in that matter.

"Sofie what are you doing just standing outside?" I hear a voice say.

Breaking out of my stressful thoughts I look up trying to adjust my eyes to the bright sunlight seeing my mother through it.

"Oh...I was just...thinking" I tell her in a soft tone but trying hard not to make my voice seem confused or different in any way.

"Well come on in. You have to tell us how your interview went" She gives me a wide smile forcing me to respond back.

If you only knew what really happened in the interview mom, if you only really knew. Mom placed her hand onto my back as she guided me through the front door into the familiar scented house in which I grew up in.

"There's my girl" I hear my dad say as he walks through the front door to get to where I am.

He looks proud, so proud of something which I've lied to him about. I can't keep lying to him, I've lied to him for the past few years but I don't think I can keep this up anymore, I'll have to tell him.

"Dad I need to tell you something" I say in a quiet voice hoping he didn't hear me, but he did.

"I know what you're going to tell me Sof" He said in a sudden serious voice.

Oh no! He knows I never got the interview so he's going to let me down easy by saying get out of the house.

"I'm so-"

"That you got the job" He says returning the smile on his face.

This means that he still doesn't know. How in the world am I going to break this down easily for him to digest? God, please help me.

"Dad I, I'm sorry. I'm so sorry"

"Why are you sorry? You got the job right? I mean you got the highest grade from your college, why would they not even accept you?" Here goes nothing.

"I got the highest grade in art dad"

"What, what do you mean you got the highest grade in art?" He asks me.

Why do I have to go through this? It would have been a lot better for me if I stayed in Australia and got a job there.

"Dad I never got a business degree. I got an art degree instead"

Dad's face suddenly changed along with the colour of his skin. His once fairly tone changed into tomato red as he started to shake a little.

"Wilma what is this girl talking about?!" Dad yelled loudly to mom making me flinch back a little in my steps as I look at the furious man in front of me.

Mom gave me a disappointed look as she puts a hand on dad's shoulder to try and calm him down.

"Henrick you need to calm down. Let her explain" Mom said trying to reason with him but dad just shrugged her off and darted his eyes in my direction.

"If you don't get a job in a business company then you are out of this door Sofie Koenraad!"

"But d-"

"No buts! I will have no daughter of mine having an art degree" He said in full disgust making my heart break a little.

"I am your only daughter, your only child. Doesn't that count for something?" I ask in a small baby voice.