Chapter 4

I tighten my grip on my broom the wood smooth and cold beneath my palms. This is so weird. I have to get it together, they were just complimenting me after all. I feel a sudden wave of relief as Rachel places her hand on my shoulder leaning against me. "Yeah she's just going to see Oliver." She teases, a nervous laugh escaping me.

I watch as both Fred and George's smiles fade, George's eyes meeting the ground. "You're still going out with Oliver?" I blush completely taken aback by them asking me about it. "Well yes... you both were there when he asked me after all." He immediately sits back down his back slamming against the back of my couch. I'm pretty sure George is done talking. My eyes turn to Fred who is staring quietly into the fireplace, "I have to go- I have something to do." He says abruptly turning away from us all and heading out of the room. He hands are clenched and his body is tense, "Fred..." I whisper my voice shaking.

Why do I even care?! They're both just pouting. Its selfish for them to expect me not to date people! Its quiet and the Trio sit there watching me expectantly, "Fine!" I groan rolling my eyes. "I'll talk to him."

I storm out of the room the sun slowly beginning to set. I pause admiring the orange and pink tones my eyes scanning for Fred anywhere. I dont even know where he'd be right now... I walk past the potions classroom, I walk around outside, I went to the boys dorms, and still nothing. At this point I'm starting to get a little worried.

I walk towards Hagrids cottage searching for any sign of him, "Fred!" I call out finally spotting him at the lake his head lifting slightly when he hears his name. I jog over making my breaths deep and deliberate.

"Fred.." I whisper watching his hair blow in the wind his back to me as he sits by the water his hands slowly shifting his reflection. I quietly walk over just the sound of the water, and the crunching of the leaves beneath my feet are all you can hear. He doesn't even look up when I sit next to him. I really didn't think this would bother the twins so badly. I slowly stick my finger in the water my face rippling and then re-emerging as the waves slow.

"Ella." I'm slightly startled at the sound of his voice, but I'm also relieved to hear him say my name again. "Just- dont go." I stare at him shocked and I scoff lightly trying to laugh it off. The twins can be jealous but Fred is acting unusual. Normally they forgive me so quickly. Never have I had anything like this happen.

"I cant just not go Freddie.." I say slowly beginning to stand, he lifts his head and stands with me his eyes connecting with mine. I forget sometimes how much bigger he is than me. We're quiet as our eyes search each others, my heart is beating so quickly. I wonder if his is too?

He wraps his arms around me pulling me against his chest, holding me gently. It's sudden, but he seems so sure when he does it. His hands gently caress my hair as we breath in sync, my arms resting against his sides. "C'mon on Fred.." I whisper my voice shaking as he hold me. My stomach is twisting itself into knots right now.

I try to pull away but that just makes him pull me closer. He's shaking. "Fred I really need to go... Everyone's probably worried, especially George." He shakes his head and he pulls away his hand reaching my jaw and lifting my eyes to meet his. His eyes are glossy but clear and his mouth is set. We both stare at each other holding each others gaze. "I can't let you go Ella. I need you- I l-"

I'm completely glued to my spot as Fred is torn off of me my body so shocked that I cant move. Were we about to... was he about to say? As much as I'd like to sit shell shocked and consider everything that's happened I'm suddenly very aware of a furious George who is yelling profanities at his brother who is on the ground.

"What were you doing!?!" George yells at him motioning to me quickly. Fred looks at me with concern and then he looks angry as he turns back to his brother. He slowly stands brushing the dirt and leaves off of his outfit pushing his way past his brother, "Shove off George." He whispers as he storms past him back towards the castle.

I cant even compose myself. I barely have any idea what just happened, and honestly whatever it was I'm not happy about it. I've absolutely never seen either of them like this: George so defensive, and Fred so angry.

"Are you okay?" George asks turning to me his jaw locked and his arms crossed. I honestly dont know what I am right now. I don't think it's okay but it's definitely not awful and I'm not angry I'm just confused. I cant tell him that though, "I'm fine." I say forcing out a reassuring smile. "We were just talking. It was really nothing crazy George." That's a lie.

He watches me for a second my smile unwavering. I can tell just by his face that he knows something is up, but I dont think he's going to push it. "C'mon we're going back to the common room." I sigh as he turns and I follow him without any question. I'd really rather be alone right now. I watch his tall form move in front of me his fingers swiftly moving through his hair.

What am I doing? Why do I keep letting these boys tell me who I can date? Where I'm going? I stop as I watch George turn the corner. I just feel so overwhelmed. I feel the tears coming and I do everything I can to try to stop them. He cant see me like this. I turn away from him heading in the opposite direction down the hallway, "El?" He sounds annoyed. I dont want him to see me cry.

I think once he realizes I'm not stopping is when he actually gets concerned, "Ella?" He calls out. I can hear the tapping of his shoes speeding up and then I lose it. The tears begin to flow and they wont stop. I cant convince my heart to slow down, and my mind wont quit racing. I hate this.

"Why?" I whisper crouching down my hands covering my eyes. "Why can you run so fast? Just go away..." My voice is soft and quivering as I'm on the floor. I'm never like this- so broken. He probably thinks I look so weak. I'm just so frustrated. How can Fred act that way? How can George get that angry at Fred, over me?

"Hey-" George gets on his knees in front of me slowly pulling away one of my hands from my face. As soon as our eyes connect I lose it. My quiet crys have now become deep sobs, he looks so concerned. "I-hate-this." I manage to say in between cries wiping violently at my tears.

He's hesitant at first but he then gently strokes a tear off of my cheek his other hand resting behind my neck. His hands are so warm. "George." I whisper, him pulling me against his chest. "Let's just do this for now." He says my body falling into his. I take a deep breath in and he just holds me. I don't know how long it took for me to stop crying that night, but he didnt complain once.
-----------------------------------------------------------