quatorze

Riley's POV

The memorial service for Ms. Whitney and little Tara was beautiful. There was few times when I found myself having tears in my eye but I would always catch them before they could fall. I don't know which was sadder: Darrell's sister singing an amazing solo with her flawless vocals or watching Darrell breakdown in front of everyone.

Of course when I reached my car to follow the family's rented limo to the burial grounds I had to take a moment to get myself together. All of it was giving me horrific memories of my father and uncle's funeral. And then there's the slight thought that I was supposed to be at the funeral too, but not crying in the front row, dressed to impress in a casket of my own. I was supposed to die that night.

I don't know if the police came in too early or if Cassius didn't pull the trigger early enough. Maybe he really didn't want to shoot me and waited for the police to take him down. Maybe.

"Fix your collar baby." I reached over and adjusted Julius's tux on my own before patting his chest when he was perfected. "Are you guys ready to go home?"

"I'm full." Caius announced throwing in the towel after his third plate of casserole and nodding his head that he was indeed ready to go home.

"Okay sit here and when I get back we will go home. Asia watch your brothers." I stood, immediately pulling my dress down in the back and searched the small home filled with white people and only a little blacks for Darrell.

He stood near the stairway with his cousin Ernie, sister Adrianna, and nephew Malakai. I respectfully waited until conversation had hushed to walk over and make my presence known. "I'm getting ready to leave Darrell." I told him, both of us out reaching for a hug at the same time. "Are you staying the night with me?"

"Yeah I'll be there later tonight."

I frowned at his voice. So lifeless and sad. I kissed his lips passionately and whispered to him that everything would be alright, the way I had been doing for a while now. He gave me a broken smile and I sighed softly.

"Riley, I just want to say thank you for everything you've done for my brother... and Tara." Adrianna said to me, her blonde hair bouncing everywhere when she moved her head as she spoke. "You're a great person and I'm glad he has you."

"Thank you." I grinned softly at her.I then turned to Malakai, the tall mysterious fifteen year old that was Tara's older brother. His hard eyes were the same vibrant blue as my children's and they looked amazing against his dark colored skin. We held awkward eye contact for a minute before I caught chills going down my spine and decided to leave.

I bit my lip when I reached the car, still pondering on Malakai. My phone vibrated in a unique pattern and the call log appeared above the cooking frenzy game Asia had been playing on it, she smacked her lips in annoyance and handed the phone to me. Heather's name was flashing and I had honestly not spoken to her in a while so I knew she was probably worried about me.

"Hello?" I answered the phone.

"Can't answer my calls I see."

"Heath I've been so busy, you don't understand. Asia went missing, my boyfriend's family dies, I'm moving and job searching at the same time. I haven't had the time to talk to any of my friends."

Heather groaned and I knew she would forgive me. We are best friends after all. "Yeah whatever. Give my condolences to white boy for me. And let the kids know I love them just in case you try to keep me away from them again."

"Stop being dramatic. What have you been up to?"

"Well. I have interesting news on 'Raji. Her kids have been taken into foster care girl."