forty

[forty]

The first weekend of the week back from school after Thanksgiving had approached and Riley was relieved. She wished Cassius would go back to his house but he was around her 24/7 and it was getting harder for her to even speak to Malakai. She was lucky to get these few moments alone as she stood by the door with her keys in hand and the twins beside her. "Asia! Come on! I'm leaving in ten seconds! With or without you!"

"I'm coming!" She yelled back from her room.

"Five!" Julius screamed, tired of waiting for her. "Four..."

Asia came running, her nose deep in her phone. "I'm ready."

"Fina-fucking-ly."

"Julius!" Riley chastised.

The four traveled downstairs to the garage and into the car and started on the drive to the movie theatre where Asia would hang out with her new found friend. This was the first time she would go somewhere alone with an adult and Riley was nervous but Ray told her that this was normal for twelve year olds. This is the age they usually go places alone. Plus, Asia had her phone and she knew to call Riley if anything happened.

Glancing over at an quiet Asia, Riley felt the urge to ask her about something. She hadn't pushed the whole ordeal with Cassius all the way under the rug. Ray told Riley that she was to always put her children first and always put their word first. So when Riley had asked Asia last night about what happened again, she was surprised when Asia said she was only lying about everything.

Now what was she supposed to do? She had to believe Cassius. Asia only lied for attention, she even said it herself. That still didn't satisfy Riley or let her know why Asia still wasn't talking to Cass.

"Is she there already?" She asked Asia who nodded her head. "Are you okay? You've been quiet for awhile now."

"I'm fine."

"You sure?" Riley pressed, keeping her voice down and turning up the music some so the boys couldn't eavesdrop.

"I said I'm fine."

Riley looked at her one last time before letting it go and continuing the drive. When they reached the front of the theatre, Asia jumped in her seat, spotting her friend walking towards the car with her mother.

Rolling down the windows, Riley put on her award-winning smile noticing Asia's friend was a mixed race child, her mother a tall Caucasian woman with great eyebrows. She was dressed in a woman's suit, looking all sophisticated. Riley looked at her pink Juicy jumpsuit, she would probably look childish next to this woman with her toothbrushed edges and her hoop earrings she was sporting today. But at least she was still cute. Her man liked it.

"Hi." Riley waved her hand and turned down the loud music. Caius insisted they listened to Lil Snupe.

"Hello. I'm Carla, Amani's mother. You're Mrs. Hawkins, right?" The bright and happy woman asked as Asia quickly hopped out the car and attacked Amani with hugs. Riley didn't even know they were that close.

"Oh... yes. That's me." Riley lied, that wasn't her last name. But she wanted to impress Asia's new friend. Her car was just as fancy as Carla's. She could be married with kids too. "You can call me Riley."

Carla's palm touched her heart. "I have a cousin named Riley. Very pretty name."

"Thank you. How much does she need for the movie?" Riley took out her wallet and dug inside, thumbing through it's contents.

"I need twenty dollars!" Asia yelled. Carla and Riley shared a laugh as she handed Asia the correct amount with a little something extra.

Carla peeked inside the door and waved to the twins. "They are so cute. I have a son that's eight. How old are they?"