Chapter 5

The next morning Sunny hopped down the stairs and into the kitchen with Sarah dragging herself behind her. Both girls stopped when they heard Carly and Leanne arguing.

"Why do I have to tutor her?" Carly asked.

"Because she needs it" Leanne responded. "I will pay you like I would pay anyone else alright?"

"No, not alright. Now I won't be able to go out with my friends"

"It is only two hours after dinner Carly." Leanne grew impatient.

"But mom" Carly whined

"No buts. You will do this. It will give you guys some time to bond or something"

"It's not like we need to. They are leaving next week right?" Carly frowned when Leanne didn't answer. "Mom. It is for one more week right?"

"I do not know yet. If everything goes well we will see. Now finish your breakfast and go get dressed" Leanne sighed.

Carly scoffed and got off her chair and stormed out of the kitchen. She passed the girls in the hallway without a glance and walked up the stairs to her room.

Sunny looked at her before taking a peek inside the kitchen where Leanne was roaming around the kitchen. The girls walked up to the isle and sat down. They took a bowl, poured cereal and began eating. They noticed that Dean had already left for work. He was rarely there in the morning because he had to wake up early but he made sure he made it early in the evening to have time with his kids and wife.

"Morning girls" Leanne smiled.

"Morning" they answered

"Are you ready for another day at school?"

"Yes" Sunny cheered as Sarah stayed quiet. "Yesterday was so much fun"

For the rest of breakfast, Sunny talked animatedly to Leanne about her wonderful day at school and all the students she met. Meanwhile Ben came down all ready to leave and sat beside Sunny. He took part of the conversation happily while eating his breakfast. He sat away from Sarah because she still made him nervous. He could feel this bad vibe leaking off her and it made him shiver. But if Sunny could be friends with her then surely Ben could do it as well.

The four kids filled the car while Leanne was fiddling with the manual stick. The driving age here was sixteen and Carly was in the middle of her course. The course takes a year to complete and spend a thousand dollars before Carly could drive without supervision. This was the new law in Quebec because the government believed that teenagers didn't know how to drive properly.

The drive to the school was silent except for Ben and Sunny who talked to each other quietly. Once the car stopped, Sunny gave her sister a kiss goodbye and ran out. Sarah was stepping out of the car when a hand on her arm stopped her. She turned around to see Leanne stretched out with a worried expression.

"Be careful" she said. Sarah rolled her eyes and nodded. Once Leanne let her go, she got out of the car and frowned at Carly who had been waiting for her. Silently, the girls made their way to the school doors.

"So" Carly said nervously. Sarah looked at her and raised an eyebrow "Tutoring from seven to nine tonight yeah?"

"Sure. Thanks"

They continued walking in silence, not knowing what to say to each other when and male voice called Carly's name. The girls turned around and saw a tall, muscular dirty blond boy coming their way. Once he arrived beside them, the boy threw his arms around a squeaking Carly in a bear hug. He put her down and kissed her deeply.

"Hey babe" he said.

"Hey Tommy" she said lovingly. They stared at each other for a while until Sarah awkwardly cleared her throat. Both heads turned her way and Carly blushed as Tommy studied the new face.