Chapter 22

"So, have you applied for Colleges yet?" Vivian asked Sarah.

The school trip had finally came to their last activity of the day: two hours at a public swimming pool. Vivian and Sarah had led the dozen of ten years old girls to the women's changing room. Sarah had thought that after such a long day, the kids were going to be too tired to play in the pool but apparently it had the opposite effect. The two volunteers had to practically jog to keep up with the girls to the washroom. They also had to remind them not to run around the pool because it was dangerous.

Now, Vivian and Sarah had been changing into their swimsuit in separate stalls. They talked through the single wall that separated them. They kept the conversations light, because off all the ears around them.

"Yeah" Sarah answered as she removed her shirt. "Leanne insisted"

"It seems Leanne insists quite a lot when it comes to you" Vivian commented.

"You don't know the half of it"

"You do not seemed to thrilled" Vivian pointed out.

Both girls opened their stall doors at the same time. Vivian was wearing a dark blue bikini, which complemented very well her pale skin, dark hair and snowflake blue eyes. Sarah on the other hand, wore a long Minnie-Mouse t-shirt covering the bright pink swimsuit Vivian had bought her months ago. It was the only swimsuit she had ever owned, and probably the last.

"Wow, don't you look like a real girl" Vivian smirked as she stared at the thumb lifting giant mouse on her shirt. The shirt was long enough to cover her bum but the bite scar on her ankle was quite visible.

"It's Carly's pajama. By the way, I know the difference between Pinocchio and Minnie-Mouse"

"I do not doubt it" Vivian said with a smirk. "Why can you not wear your own clothes?"

"Long story. All the extra large clothes I own are as good as rags, according to Leanne, and I am not allowed to wear them in public for fear of being ridiculed or something." Sarah sigh, clearly not wanting to get into it. "Alright girlies, out with you all and go drown yourselves. Rhetorically speaking, of course" Sarah had quickly added from the glare Vivian gave her. But her comment got her a slap to her stomach.

Sarah doubled over by the strength of Vivian's slap and that earned giggles throughout the restroom. Apparently, according to the girls, Vivian was their hero-goddess. They surrounded her like bees to their queen and Sarah had no idea why. Vivian led them to the pool with Sarah closing the line. Immediately, the girls jumped into the pool and joined the boys in the shallow part of the pool.

Sarah looked around, impressed. It was not her first time swimming in a public pool, but it was her first time in such a big one. Mainly it was because it was free, but it also allowed her and Sunny to have a proper shower once in a while. Actually, Sarah had taught Sunny how to swim in a pool like the one she was in. She remembered they would come from school and go directly to the pool, mostly to avoid going to the foster home they had currently been living in.

From the other end of the pool, Sarah saw the springboards and squealed in delight. There were four: one meter, three meter, five meter and ten meter. This had to be an Olympic pool.

"Come on" Sarah took Vivian's hand and dragged her to the other end of the pool. She arrived at the ten meter stairs and pushed Vivian in front of her. "Up, up, up"

"No, absolutely not" Vivian stated and turned around to walk away but Sarah stopped her. She trapped Vivian and forced her on the first step as she placed her arms on the railing.

"Come on, it's absolutely thrilling" Sarah said with a huge grin on her face. Her heart was already pumping faster from adrenaline.

"No. I have jumped in an ice river for you, I have rocked-climbed with you, but I will not jump down five meters for you"