Chapter 16

Six weeks had past since the orphans had moved in with the Murray's and things were starting to look up. It was now mid- February and the temperature had dropped even more but that didn't change the lively mood in the Murray's mansion.

Today was no exception because everyone in the house was running around. Dean had a huge case and Carly had a project due that week so both of them had to leave quite early. Ben and Sunny had an outing with their friends and Leanne was going to drive them before going to work. Sarah was meeting her psychologist.

"Damn" Leanne swore, shutting her phone "I just got an emergency call from the hospital. Ben I won't be able to drive you and Sunny to Zach's. Carly?"

"Forget it mom, I'm already late." Carly said with toast in her mouth. She was already putting her coat on. "What about dad?"

"No can do, sweet heart. Have a good day" Dean said as he kissed his wife on the cheek before rushing outside to his car.

"Ask Sarah" Carly said before waving goodbye and following her father into the parking lot.

Leanne hesitated subtly but it didn't pass the foster girls. Sunny frowned but refrained from saying anything but Sarah froze. Her face got a little paler and her eyes darkened.

Leanne turned around and smiled warmly at the young teenager. She picked up a set of keys and offered them to her. Sarah didn't take them.

"Could you please take the kids to their friends house? You could borrow the car for the rest of the day and drive yourself to your meetings" Leanne asked nicely. Sarah grind her teeth together but took the keys anyway.

"Thank you" Leanne said and kissed her cheek before waving to the two younger ones.

"Is everything okay?" Ben asked. Sunny drove her elbow into his groin and he toppled over moaning in pain. Sunny rolled her eyes before preparing herself to go.

"Everything's fine" Sarah said no louder than a whisper. She took a deep breath to control her emotions and prepared herself to leave. Once everything was ready and locked, the three of them were on their way with Sunny riding shotgun and Ben in the back.

"They don't have to know" Sunny said quietly to her sister in Japanese. Sarah looked at her but stayed silent. No one said a word for the rest of the ride. Sarah dropped them off in another town where Ben's friend lived.

Sunny kissed Sarah on the cheek before stepping out of the car. Ben, on the other hand, threw her a fist bump which she reacted to. A fist bump was as far as they got in their relationship which was farther than they both expected to. As much as Ben and Sunny had become best friends, Ben and Sarah did not have much in common. They didn't really talked much about anything but they both loved physical activities. They played sports together with Dean after school.

Sarah drove away and out of the city. She made sure that she followed every street regulations as to not get the wrong attention. Instead of driving all the way to Montreal, Sarah parked he car by the city bus station and took the public transportation. She arrived at her destination half an hour late but she really didn't seem to care. She hated going to her shrink, probably because she never said anything good since there was never anything good to say.

"Ms. Green, I'm so glad you didn't miss your appointment" Mrs. Cruz said with a warm smile. "You are late but considering you always are, I pushed your appointment by half an hour. So, it is your turn" Sarah rolled her eyes and walked into the office. Mrs. Cruz closed the door behind them and offered the young girl some coffee which was accepted.

The two of them met when Sarah was admitted to the children asylum four years prior. Sarah was in a very bad shape during that time and not many psychologist or psychiatrist were able to get anywhere near her. Sarah had gone through half a dozen of professionals before Mrs. Cruz was assigned. Their relationship was strained because Mrs. Cruz had seen the worst of Sarah and not much of good, but the psychologist was determined to help her.