Prologue

It was the loud, constant banging on the door that woke the Murrays up from their blissful night. Quite confuse by all the commotion, Dean Murray got up from bed and walked to the front door. His wife, Leanne Murray, followed close and waited on the bottom stairs.

The first thing Dean saw once he opened the door was a gun barrel pointed at his head. The couple froze where they were as Dean slowly walked back into the corridor, never leaving the gun from his sight. To their surprise, it was a young girl who was holding the gun. She had blood splattered on her body. The expression on her face showed that she was injured as she was trying to keep her eyes focused on the couple.

“I need Doctor Murray” the girl said in a raspy voice through her raw throat. It was clear in her voice that she had been screaming previously.

“Doctor Murray” she screamed again, noticing no one was moving. Leanne walked down the last stretch of stairs and stood beside her husband.

“That’s me” she answered. The girl crouched down and her right hand disappeared behind the wall. Her left hand was kept firmly on the hilt of the gun. When she stood up again, she made her way inside the house dragging a body behind her. The body was of a young Asian girl who looked to be ten years old and it was covered in blood.

“Fix her” the girl said.

Unable to help herself, Leanne rushed to the child on the floor and started to examine the injuries. Her husband tried to stop her but he knew that Leanne was unable to let a child die under her watch, even under these circumstances.  

“We should call an ambulance”

“No!” she girl yelled “No cops. Fix her”

Leanne looked into the girls eyes and knew she cared deeply for the survival of the other. She also saw someone who was ready to do anything for the unconscious.

“Honey, go get my emergency bag and bring it to the dining table”

“You’re not serious, we need to call the police” Dean said.

“Dean. Go get it” Leanne never looked away from the girl “Okay, sweetie, no cops. I need to get her on the table if you want me to save her. Is that alright?”

The girl nodded. Together, they picked up the limp child and placed her on the table. Dean came back with a giant emergency bag. He stood beside his wife as she cut her patient shirt open and they gasped at the sight. There were bruises everywhere on her stomach and chest. She had a knife wound just below her breasts. The gash was big enough to have cut through fabrics of muscles and the blood had not yet stopped flowing. Meanwhile, the gunner sat down on the floor and watched the scene silently.

“Mom. What’s going on?” a small voice came through the hallway. Not a second after, the gunner had the newcomer at gun point. It was a girl the same age as the offender.

“Wait, wait, wait” Leanne begged. “That’s my daughter Carly. I promise you, she will do you no harm. Let her go, please”

Nodding her approval, the girl grabbed a chair and sat down, resting her head on the wall. Carly, ran to her parents as they tried to explain the situation.

“Is there anybody else?” the offender asked.

“I have a son too, but he’s a deep sleeper. He won’t wake up” Leanne replied “Please, you are making me nervous. If you want me to help your friend I ask you to lower the gun”

Doing as she asked, the girl put the safety back on, placed the gun on the table and waited silently.

Two painful hours later, Leanne managed to patch her patient up as much as she could. She made her way to the other intruder. The girl flinched when she felt hands on her shoulder.

“It’s okay, I’m not going to hurt you” Leanne smiled “Your injured, let me see” The girl tried to shrugged her off.

“I’m fine”

“How do you expect to protect your friend if you die from your wounds?”

Still uncertain by the act of kindness given to her, the girl hesitantly took her shirt off. Her body was fit but underweight. It was also full of bruises although she had a few extra scars scattered around. But what caught the eye was a bullet hole in her shoulder.

“Would you mind telling me what happened to you?” Leanne asked as she worked on the girl.

“Cops”

“Cops did this to you?”

“Yes. They are so fucking dirty, they can’t even clean their hands properly anymore because there is so much crap on them” the girl laughed without humor. “They believe they have every fucking right just because they have a pathetic plastic decoration on their fucking belts”

Leanne was surprised by the foul mouth the girl had at such a young age.

“People don’t listen to children anymore. They listen to people who are supposed to be faithful to their community but use that knowledge to get whatever the fuck they want”

“You’re a little young to swear like that” Dean said from the other side of the room.

“I’m fifteen and what are you going to do about it, huh?” the girl replied while grabbing the gun.

Everyone stayed quiet once more waiting for Leanne to finish. After she was done, she repacked the emergency bag and washed her hands.

“What are you going to do now?” she asked the young girl.

Ignoring the question, the intruder went to the unconscious girl and picked her up. She did not show any sign of pain coming from her shoulder. But before she left, she grabbed her wallet and pulled out a twenty dollar bill and dropped it on the table.

“This is all I have, thank you doctor” she said “Oh, and be careful where you put your address. It was easy finding you”

With that said, she girl made her way out of the house and into the night. Still overwhelmed by the night’s event, Leanne couldn’t help but wonder what happened to those children.

“I’m glad it’s finally over” Dean said before leading his still shocked daughter to her room.

For some reason, Leanne had a feeling it was not the last time she would see the girls who so rudely interrupted their peaceful lives.