Chapter 27

It was a phone call that had woken Sarah up that morning. Still half asleep, Sarah searched for her phone, which she had grown to like in time, and blindly opened it.

"What?" she grumbled.

"Green, good you're awake. You have to come quick" an atypical cheerful voice spoke at the other end.

"What?"

"It's Vivian" the voice sounded a little exasperated and no less exited. "Reign, my horse, is giving birth now, and you really ought to see this. Come quick, it's a sight to see"

"At two in the morning? Can't you tell it to wait" Sarah sighed after looking at the time on her phone.

"Oh, what a good idea Green. You are the smartest person I've ever encountered" Vivian's sarcastic voice said which made Sarah groan. "Yes, I will tell my horse whose faun is about to come out of her to wait a couple of hours for you to show up. Yes, yes, she will totally understand"

"Ok, I got it, Geeze" Sarah said and reluctantly got out of bed. "I'm coming, I'll be there in about fifteen minutes"

Sarah hung up without a goodbye and began to get dressed. Once she was done, she went across the hall and to Sunny's room. She found Sunny fast as sleep and shook her awake.

"Sunny, hey" she whispered and Sunny replied with an objective moan. "How would you like to see a horse give birth?"

Sunny's head shot up and stared at her sister warily. "Really?"

"Yup, it's happening right now at Vivian's farm."

"Let me get dressed" Sunny was suddenly up and about. Her movements were slower and less grateful as she was trying to rid of the fatigue. Meanwhile Sarah walked to Leanne's room and opened the door enough to poke her head in. Leanne's response was even less comprehensible than Sunny's first acknowledgement but Sarah took it as a conformation. She left a note just in case Leanne hadn't registered what she said.

Sunny came down yawning and whipping her eyes. She grabbed her coat and boots and together they silently went to the garage to grab their bikes. They rode in silence, enjoying the massive fog that had settle that morning. The snow was almost all gone now, replaced by the morning frost. The ground and grass would shine from the ice that had settle throughout the night.

They arrived at Vivian's farm in less than ten minutes. Vivian was waiting for them, apparently not surprised to see Sunny with Sarah. She half ran to meet them and took a hold of Sarah's upper arm.

"Come on, the faun is coming out" Vivian said excitingly. Sarah was caught surprised as she had never seen Vivian so lively and eager. They left their bikes on the side fence and Sunny ran beside Sarah who was letting herself be dragged to one of the barns. They arrived at a stall where Vivian's mother, a few helpers and the vet were waiting and looking with wonder at the sight before them.

Sunny jumped on a hay stack, as she was still a bit small. Sarah looked over the stall and her eyes grew wide. What she saw was something she never expected to see in her life. The horse was lying on her side, huffing in pain. They could see the front hooves of the faun sticking out. In a jolt, Reign got up and walked around, nostrils flaring. Sarah could see the horse's breath at a high speed as Reign's breath shortened. Vivian assured her it was normal for a horse to stand up while giving birth, since it was painful for them. They only had to make sure she wouldn't fall on her backside and crush to baby.

Slowly, the faun began to come out more and more. They could see the head and the body slowly sliding out. Reign had stood up three or four times again. The baby was covered in a transparent cocoon, which help it come out more easily. When the last of the baby came out, everyone who witnessed held their breath. They all blew out when the baby began to move blindly. Reign hadn't yet noticed the faun. She was still heaving and tried to regain her breath. She slowly sat up and looked around to find her little baby safe out of her womb.