Chapter 21

Saturday had arrived and so had March. March break was just around the corner too, which everyone was excited about. But today was the day Sarah had to volunteer to bring a class of third years into Montreal. This was her punishment for fighting with Ken at the police station a few months back. Sarah was glad the day finally arrived so she could get it over with.

Carly was driving her to the school that early morning. It had been an awkward week because Sarah had become more reserved than usual. Everyone knew something happened between Vivian and her but neither of the girls gave out anything. They avoided each other in school and, luckily for them, the students were starting to lose interest in them.

"So you have everything?" Carly asked Sarah.

"It's only one day" Sarah grumbled. In fact, it was a full day: the art museum, the Imax and swimming at a public pool.

"Are you sure everything is alright with you and Vivian?" Carly asked again as she pulled into the school parking lot. Sarah groaned.

"Yes, why?"

"Because it looks like she's going to the outing"

Sarah chocked and looked out the window. Fair enough, Vivian was standing beside the yellow school bus looking serious, as always. She was surrounded by almost twenty ten years old kids and two adults.

"Shit" Sarah swore. Carly gave her a side glance and smiled. She parked in front of the bus and waved a hand.

"Have fun" Carly said happily which earned her a glare. Sarah shook her head and stepped out of the car with her bag. She watched her foster sister drive away and only turned until the car was no longer visible. With a sigh, she turned around and made her way to the group. She ignored Vivian who was watching her intently. there was one teacher and another student waiting for her.

"Hello Sarah, thank you so much for coming" the older man said as he shook her hand "My name is Ryan. I'm the teacher in charge so if there are any questions you need to ask about the trip, feel free to ask me"

"Hey, I'm Max" the teenager said beside him. "You probably don't know me since I graduated last year but I'm here with my little brother"

"Nice to meet you" Sarah said as she shook his hand.

"Alright kids, listen up" Ryan said aloud. "Everyone get in the bus, we are about to leave in five minutes. Sarah, Vivian could you come here please?"

The girls made their way to the teacher who was standing beside a little girl. The girl looked extremely shy. Her chin was tucked in and her hands were clasped behind her back. The pink hat covered her blond hair and ears to keep her warm matched her pink coat perfectly.

"This is Maggie. She is hard of hearing, so please be sensitive with her. Her parents insisted she learn to work with others her own age. Vivian, I know you have a little experience with sign language. Would you mind helping her through the day?"

"I'll keep her close to me, sir" Vivian smiled as Sarah bent down so she could see the shy girl better.

"Hello, my name is Sarah" she signed and already, the girl's eyes sparked with interest. "If you want, you can stay with me and I'll be your translator. Cool?"

Ryan the teacher looked impressed but Vivian, who already knew Sarah could sign, looked with hidden excitement. This would give them a reason to talk. It had been a week since Vivian was able to speak freely with Sarah and she admittedly missed it. Even though their exchanges were mostly constructed of insults, both girls were capable of long and intellectual conversations.

Maggie smiled and nodded her head towards Sarah. She knew how to speak but it felt good to sign to someone without difficulty. Vivian offered Maggie her hand,which she took willingly. Sarah stood up again and made her way inside the bus with Vivian and Maggie close behind her.