Chapter 29

"Come on, come on, everyone at the table" Leanne cheered happily. "Let's not let food get cold"

"Jesus, I've never seen her so happy to eat" Sarah said to Carly as they both took a seat next to each other.

"Sometimes I wonder who's the kid in this family" Carly joked and both girls grinned.

"Very funny Carly" Leanne said as she ushered Dean to the table "Ben! Hurry up, it's getting cold"

"I'm coming, geez" Ben mumbled as he fumbled with his collar. Of all the Murray's, Ben was the one who would care about his appearance the most.

"Look at that adorable boy dressing up for a special occasion" Carly snickered. She messed up his hair as he passed by her, earning her an insult.

"I really don't see the occasion of all this" Sarah said for the fifth time.

"Girl, since when does mom need an occasion for celebrating?" Carly replied.

"I think it's awesome" Sunny jumped and down on her feet.

"Thank you Sunny" Leanne said as she made sure everything was in order. "At least one of you is happy about this"

"You suck up" Sarah said to Sunny who stuck her tongue out in victory.

"I think it's adorable to have a final celebration" Gabriel said as he high five Sunny. The bell rang and Leanne jumped happily and strode to open the door to the remaining of the guests.

"Look who just arrived" Leanne cheered. Behind her was Nim and Vivian, both having dressed up a little for the event. "Everyone's here, we can finally start"

"Finally" Dean said exasperated and smiled sheepishly at Leanne's glare "Sit down honey before you get an aneurysm"

"You can't-

"You know what I mean. Please sit, you're worse than Sunny"

"Hey" Sunny complained. She didn't mind though, knowing she was hyperactive and sometimes impossible to calm down.

Nim went around the table and sat beside Sunny and Dean while Vivian sat on the other side of Sarah. She kissed Sarah on the cheeks as a welcome before settling down to eat.

Once everyone was sitting and had been served, Leanne raised her glass for a toast. The only ones who didn't have alcohol were Ben, Sunny and Sarah as they were all still under aged. Also, Sarah didn't like alcohol and would have refused anyway.

"A toast to a great year. I want to congratulate you all and to the five who managed to pass high school and had been accepted in college" Leanne began.

"To a rocky year and an expanded family" Dean added. "To friendship and family. To new discoveries and meetings and to a great future"

"How pink" Sarah commented earning a laugh and a complaint from Dean.

"To everyone" Dean said happily and all nine at the table raised their glass in salute.

School had just finished that day and had finally graduated. Prom was tomorrow. High school was finally over. Except for Sunny and Ben who had three years left of it. For different reasons, no one at the table would have believe that this day would come. But it had, and it felt overwhelming. They all worked hard to be here; to succeed. They all had demons to beat and they all had to find themselves, which they did.

High school had never been the end but the beginning. The real challenges would be coming later and they will not be as forgiving. Carly, Nim, Gabriel, Vivian and Sarah were all ready to continue to move on. They were all safe, and had good families to fall back onto. That was the important thing.