Chapter 15

The village party hosted by Leanne couldn't come any sooner for Sarah. After a long and loud night of opera, Sarah had had her dosage of high society for the week. Unfortunately for her, she was the party's main course. It was a way of welcoming the orphans to a tight community such as this one. Luckily for the girls, it was a casual clothing kind of festivity; nothing fancy.

As every village party is given, it is always held at the community hall, in the middle of town beside the church. Such events allowed the children and adults to interact with each other whether with someone of the same age or not. The alcohol was provided but under strict surveillance. Even though most teenagers had a fake ID, they were not able to get alcohol beverage since everybody knew everybody. The music was leaned more to the classical and jazz types which didn't really bother the children since they had been exposed to it all their lives.

Sunny, as usual was running around helping prepare the room for guest. She was so excited about meeting new people it was impossible for her to be still. Even though there were workers paid to prepare, they accepted Sunny to spend the day helping simply to let her steam all that energy out of her. It was normal for twelve years old children to have energy but Sunny seemed to be radiating out of it. The fact that everything was new to the little Japanese girl and that the environment was safe for her to be herself added wood to the already burning fire.

Leanne felt bad for dropping Sunny at the community hall with the employees but she had never dealt with a hyper active child before. Her family members were quite calm even Ben who was a level headed thirteen year old boy. Maybe that was why Ben and Sunny got along so well; a calm boy in need of energy and an active child in need to keep her two feet on the ground. Leanne was extremely glad to see Sunny active. It showed her that it had been a good idea to bring them here. She had seen Sunny's evolution bloom like a flower during spring; from a scared girl who could barely look at Leanne in eyes and too afraid of speaking or moving without permission to a girl confident of herself whose not afraid to make a few mistakes and be able to run around without anybody chasing her. Maybe Sunny had been holding herself for so long that years of withheld energy needed to come out of her body. Besides, it was too soon for Leanne and Dean to scold her for being herself. The girls have only been in their lives for a month, everyone was still adjusting.

People were beginning to arrive; parents with their children, teenagers in groups. Sunny came running to the door and stood beside Sarah who arrived with the Murray's. She was not even sweaty after an entire day of working.

"Hey one-san" Sunny cheered "Hey guys"

"Sashiko, you better calm down when the guest arrive" Sarah chided pleasantly. She rarely used Sunny's real name; it was only used during a serious moment of time. Saying her real name proved that Sarah was extremely nervous and losing control of her calm exterior. Unknown to everyone else around them except for the two foster sisters, Sarah wanted Sunny to know how she was feeling. The younger of the two smiled warmly and automatically calmed down a notch, understanding that Sarah hated crowds and attention.

"What did you bring me for clothes?" Sunny asked with excitement.

"Well, Ben helped me out with the outfit, I think he should go in fashion" Sarah said as she extended a plastic bag.

"I'm not that good" Ben blushed "Everyone knows that you don't put short shirts with skinny jeans"

"Did you know that Sunny?" Sarah asked surprised. It was mean to make fun of Ben, but they couldn't help it.

"I didn't even know what skinny jeans were" Sunny said. "I thought all jeans were the same. You are my hero Benny"

"Okay, I get it" Ben mumbled as he tried to hide his now red cheeks. "I am going to see my friends now" and with that he darted away as if he was on fire. The girls couldn't help but laughed as they high fived each other.