Chapter 24

Waking up in a hospital was not surprising to Sarah, but waking up surrounded by people she'd accustomed to care about was. The Murray family and Sunny had been cramped around Sarah's bed, patiently waiting for her to wake up with worry swimming in their eyes. Sunny had been particularly hard to calm down.

As a result of PTSD, Sunny had become catatonic in her own way until she had heard the news of Sarah being found alive. She had rocked back and forth constantly, with her hands covering her ears, unable to hear the comforting words of the Murrays' when they had tried to sooth her. The poor girl hadn't slept in over fifty hours and wouldn't until she talked to Sarah.

Family first. That was their motto and that was how they survived throughout the years. But this time, Sunny knew she had made a mistake and couldn't stop blaming herself. Leanne, Dean, Carly, Ben and Detective Rob all tried to explain that it was not her fault, but she you listen. She couldn't.

Sarah knew from the guilt in Sunny's face that it would take a long time for the young girl to forgive herself. This was not new behavior from Sunny as she wore her heart on her sleeve. It had been heartbreaking to see Sunny breakdown in Sarah's arms, but it had been worse when the young Asian was forced to leave the room so that her sister could rest. Dean had to forcefully rip Sunny off Sarah and out into the hallway.

Sarah noticed that, somehow, her family had grown by four. It made her feel warm, a feeling she so rarely experienced before that it made her uncomfortable. Except for Rob, no one had ever come to save her before. Not willingly at least. The fact that Leanne was there when the police found her brought unwanted tears to Sarah's eyes. She had never wanted to fall so deep in respect and maybe one day love towards a family she had only met a few months back.

Perhaps some adults are alright, Sarah had been thinking. Leanne and Dean taught her that not all adults were selfish assholes as she had once presumed.

After an emotional 'Welcome Back', the Murray's had to leave so that Sarah could sleep. Throughout the night, Sarah tossed and turn. Every time she closed her eyes, she would relieve the pain over and over again. Looking at her leg wrapped in white bandaged smeared with red dots, she knew she would have more scars added to her already broken body.

This was just another nightmare to add to her conscience.

-

Sometime later, Sarah woke up from a restless sleep imbedded with sweat and a silent scream to her lips. She saw unexpected movement in her room which triggered her paranoia. Adrenaline rushed through her heart before she had time clearly see the figure standing by the window.

"Sorry" Vivian's soft voice rang through her ears. "I didn't mean to frighten you"

Vivian turned from the outside view and came to sit by Sarah's bed on the small bedside chair. Her features were a mix of concern, relief and something else Sarah couldn't figure out but it was enough to give Sarah a frown. Usually, Vivian had a blank mask, never willing to show her emotions but it seemed this time she didn't have the strength to hide.

"It's fine, I was having a nightmare anyway" Sarah said and turned her eyes to the ceiling. They stayed silent for a moment, neither of them knowing what to say.

"Here" Vivian finally managed to say as she dropped a brown bag on the bed. Curiously, Sarah opened the bag to reveal a breakfast wrap with a fried potato on the side and an apple. "I know that hospital food is revolting, therefore I took the liberty to bring you something decent. I would have brought coffee, but the nurse said it would be unhealthy since you were on medication"