Chapter 10

Another normal morning was occurring at the Murray house. Normal meant awkwardly friendly for Sarah. Everyone was chatting at the same time, happy to be awake and living. Sunny was being a total chatter box, talking a thousand words per second as if she had never spoken before. She didn't care who listened, as long as someone was close, the little Asian girl was talking happily.

Leanne was sitting beside Sarah on the isle chair. They talked about school while eating their breakfast. Sarah barely spoke about her past, only making references once in a while.

"How's your cheek?" Leanne asked as she tried to touch Sarah's bruised face. Sarah moved away as to not be touched and Leanne dropped her hand.

Half of Sarah's face was blue, purple and yellow from the fight she had with Ken at the police station. Her knuckles on her left hand were swollen. Luckily they were not broken, because Sarah was left handed and couldn't do a single thing with her right hand. She also had a few bruises on her stomach but nothing major.

The damage Ken got was not better. His wrist was swollen, forcing him to wear a brace. He was not allowed to play soccer for a while. Ken also had a bruised rib and a broken nose.

"It's fine" Sarah said while rolling her eyes. Leanne had been hovering over her for the past two days. The older lady smiled at her annoyance and decided to say something else.

"So, I spoke to your social worker" Leanne said "They found a place for you to do community work close by. It's at the horse racing track just out of town. The owner lives in this town and said he needed an extra hand for cleaning. I hope that is alright for you, otherwise the closes thing they found was in Montreal which is an hour away"

"Janitor is fine Leanne. I've had worse before" Sarah said sincerely.

"Oh?"

"I was a garbage woman once. But the worst one was when I was a cleaning lady in a motel. The shit people do in their rooms is absolutely disgusting" Sarah said. Leanne frowned, curious about her misadventure but didn't ask.

Leanne cleared her throat "So, I heard you are improving in math and history. I believe, the way it is going, that you will do great in your next exam"

"Barely pass you mean?" Sarah asked and Leanne patted her shoulder.

"Everything in perspective, Honey" she said. "Considering you only have your grade ten high school and went straight to grade twelve, I think passing your classes will merit a celebration"

"Did you say celebration?" Carly said suddenly to her mother.

"How can you hear that from way over there but when I ask you to clean your room you can't hear me?" Leanne teased.

"It's called selective hearing mom, duh" Carly exclaimed. "So, what and when are we celebrating?"

Leanne took a pencil from her pocket and threw it at her daughter who shrieked in return.

"You and your parties" Leanne chided "Why don't you be with like your brother and prefer to read instead?"

"Uh, actually, I want to know too. I don't ask because I know Carly will" Ben smiled innocently. He loved celebrations with his family because they got gifts and they usually go to really fun places. Last time they went to La Ronde in Montreal. They had had a blast.

Leanne heaved a sigh dramatically. "What has happened to my children?"

"It's called growing up mom" Carly said and Sunny giggled beside her.