Chapter 8

Sarah and Carly walked side by side the following Monday at school listening to the buzz of the previous party that weekend. Sarah's name was mentioned a couple times during the conversations that could be heard in the hallways but nothing major because most kids that night were so drunk they barely remembered the night.

Carly was trying to avoid Tommy. It was easy during the weekend because he probably had been running a hangover from the drugs and alcohol but now that they were both present at school it would be harder. Carly couldn't stay home because it would have raised suspicions to her mother and she didn't want that at all. But Tommy was relentless. He had sent her a dozen messages the next day and multiple phone calls trying to explain himself or tell her how sorry he was for the way he acted.

"Carly" someone yelled behind them. Carly's friends, Hana and Matt, were walking rather fast towards them. Once they stopped in front of the two girls, Hanna threw her arms around Carly's shoulder and hugged her tightly.

"What happened Saturday?" Matt asked her as he hugged her next. "We were supposed to go home together but we couldn't find you"

"You guys didn't see the commotion that night?" Carly asked.

"No but Tommy called us a couple of times to ask us if we talked to you. Carly, did something happened between you two?" Hanna asked with concern. Carly flinched a little but covered it fast because she didn't want to talk about it.

"We broke up" Carly simply said before turning part of her body towards Sarah, who was obviously getting bored and annoyed. "Guys, this is Sarah. She is living with us for the time being. Sarah, these are my friends Hanna and Matt"

Sarah nodded to them while Hanna grinned at her and welcomed her. Matt said a simple hello and looked at her up and down. His stare made Sarah uncomfortable which made her twitch. She looked around until she found the person she was looking for.

"I'm leaving" Sarah said to Carly before walking away without so much as a glance back. After Carly watched her leave, she turned around and smacked Matt on the arm.
"Ouch" he yelled "What was that for?"

"Way to be subtle, jackass" Carly grumbled "Now she thinks that my friend is a pervert"

"I'm a guy Carly. What did you expect?" he asked and received another slap on the arm.

"She's uncomfortable with people. Tone it done, will you?"

"I'll try. But she's so hot" Matt complained and ran away before getting yet another slap. He didn't need bruises on his arms. Hanna and Carly followed him down the hallway to his locker.

"Is everything okay?" Hanna asked again.

"I'll tell you later" Carly said to her friend who nodded in return. They continued their small talk for the rest of the morning until the bell rang.

-

"Nim" Sarah said as she raced to greet him. It felt odd for her to chase after someone because it was the first time she ever had a person she could talk to during school. The small Latino boy turned around and smiled at her. He also was not used to being called by his name in the hallway, unless it was Ken to push him around.

"Hey" he said. "How was your weekend?"

"Eventful. Yours?"

"Uneventful"
After such an intensive greeting, the two introverted students walked in silence to their first class. They had no idea what to say or how to say it so they both stayed silent which was no bother to them. They both took notes in class and listened the teacher without interrupting him. Once in a while, Nim would study his desk neighbor in curiosity and she would do the same. Sarah noticed that Nim was amazing at drawing as well. He would draw anything in his blank book every time the teacher was going off topic or when it was unimportant. She thought that maybe one day they would compare drawings.