Epilogue

Sarah was surprised by the grandeur of the airport as she waited for Vivian to check her suitcase in at the desk. The Airport was busy with excited families, business men and women and workers. It was obvious that summer had just arrived. The weather was slowly warming up and the leaves were beginning to bloom profoundly. People kept coming and going as tourists arrived for the first time and locals leaving to find heat one would only find in the south.

Sarah was looking in awe at the infrastructure. Windows covered the outer wall so that people could see the planes come and go. Huge arcs were holding the ceiling high above their heads and the nice ivory color of the walls gave a friendly vibe.

"All set" Vivian said as she approached Sarah and gently pushed her to move with a hand on her lower back so that the impatient mother behind could also check in.

"You sure your bag is safe? They'll put it on the right plane?" Sarah questioned with skepticism.

"Of course, otherwise they will have to pay for the damage. Stop worrying" Vivian puffed.

"How can I not worry? You're sending everything you own somewhere where you can't reach it, in the hands of strangers and not knowing if it will ever reach you on the other side of the pond"

"Spoken like someone who's never been on a plane before" Vivian snickered.

"Oh, your rich tongue has a way with words, don' it?"

Vivian laughed. "Watch out Green, your slang accent is coming back"

"It never left"

Vivian laughed again at the sight of the mistrustful girl beside her. The girls continued to bicker as they made their way to the security point. Not far behind was Sunny, Leanne and Vivian's mom Thea. Vivian's father was on a business trip to see her off. Thea, on the other hand, already had her goodbye with her daughter. She had taken the prior day off to bring Vivian to her favorite places and restaurants. They had spent the entire day bonding and remembering their best memories. It had been an emotional day, though Vivian hadn't shown much due to her passive behavior and calm exterior. Thea knew her daughter well and was satisfied with the outcome of the day.

But today was different. Vivian's heart slowly broke with every step she took closer to the security check point, wondering if it had been a good idea to leave for England in the first place. She thought it was foolish to think that way. Sure Sarah had been her first love interest and entertainment, but her life was far from over. She would find another Sarah. Probably not, Vivian thought with a snicker. Sarah was to unique to be found in someone else.

"What are you laughing at?" Sarah asked when she saw Vivian lost in thought.

"That I may find another you in England" Vivian said Sarah snickered also.

"Yeah right" she said proudly "I'm too damaged and awesome at the same time. There is no recipe like mine where you're going"

"Very true" Vivian agreed "If you were to find someone like me, would you speak to her?"

"God no" Sarah huffed and Vivian frowned. "One of you is enough for me. I've had my fill of rich snobs"

"Says the rat from the sewers"

Sarah huffed again as it was her only reply. The girl stopped when they realized they had arrived. Sarah took a shaggy breath. It had just downed on her that Vivian was leaving for an undetermined amount of time. That moment, when she saw the security check point, was when her heart shattered in thousands of pieces. It had finally downed on her how much Vivian meant to her. All the pleasures and the healing she had with her best friend and lover was too overwhelming. Sarah had never felt such pain except when she was told her mother died. Right this moment felt as if Sarah had lost family. In this case, Vivian had become family to her. She had become something more; something she couldn't describe, it was so heartwarming. 

"Well this is it" Vivian said as loud as a whisper. She turned around when her mother came to bid her goodbye. She then tightly hugged Sunny who jumped on her and then Leanne with a thank you. All three walked further away to give the girls privacy.

Finally, Vivian turned to Sarah who looked lost in her thoughts. No words could be spoken at this moment. It was as if their throats had been sealed. Wordlessly, Vivian wrapped her arms around Sarah and held for dear life. She felt Sarah's arms wrap around her so tightly, as if she were a life buoy.  They stayed that way until Vivian's plane was being called for boarding. They relinquished the moment, knowing this was the last they would hold each other.

Sarah let go first and rubbed her hands over Vivian's arms seeing as tears slowly crept out the latter's deep blue eyes. Sarah delicately reached to wipe the tears away. Vivian, understanding what was happening, cursed before whipping her eyes once and smiling sheepishly.

"Well, enjoy the rain" Sarah said. Her voice was strained with emotions.

"I will" Vivian whispered "Be good to your patients"

"No promises" Sarah said they both laughed. They knew their reactions were due to this uncomfortable situation where they knew they had to leave each other but neither wanted to. They both knew it was for the best, but it still hurt.

When Vivian's plane was called once more, Sarah gripped Vivian's cheeks firmly and gave her their last heated kiss. Every emotion they lived, shared and received were being released like wildflower in spring. They only separated when they both ran out of air.

"Bye" Vivian said.

"Bye".

With that, Vivian turned around and began waling to the security door before remembering something.

"Ah, I forgot" Vivian said as she searched her pockets. She turned around and gave Sarah a piece of scrap paper. "Open it when I'm on the other side"

"I hate surprises" Sarah mumbled but kept the paper firmly between her fingers. Vivian smiled her golden smile before rushing through the line and placing her carry-on bag at the check point. Once she was on the other side, Sarah unfolded the paper with trembling hands. What she read made her laugh in despair and tears finally giving way. It was impressive how such a small sentence could mean so much.

'I Love You'

That was written on it in gorgeous Vivian's calligraphy. Sarah shook her head and looked to see Vivian grinning in victory. Using sign language, Sarah repeated the words that had been written for her.

"I love you too" Sarah signed with a beautiful smile while Vivian's grew wider. The black haired girl with snowflake blue eyes winked at her lover, her friend and her adventurous partner one last time before turning her back completely and never looking back. They both knew it was too hard to do so.

Sarah felt Sunny's tiny hands wrap around her sister's waist and took the paper from Sarah's shaking hands.

"Finally" Sunny said, Sarah chocked a laugh. "What now, onee-san?"

"We live" was all that Sarah could say. They had survived; now they had to live. Vivian taught her that. She may not see the rich girl again, but she sure would cherish what she had been taught and keep those loving memories at heart.

-

Sometimes things are simply not meant to be, but occasionally fate decides otherwise. It would be years before the star-crossed lovers would cross paths once more; in different times and circumstances. Oh no, surely they were not done with each other as they would undoubtedly meet again in the near future.