Chapter 23

Detective Robin McNealy arrived at the Murrayes house in record time. He broke so many road regulations but he didn't care. He knew he was too late; he knew he'd failed her again. As soon as he parked his car in the driveway, Rob got out and sprinted to the open door where the family was waiting for him. He was the only police officer there at the moment because Rob wanted this operation to go silently. He had a plan. A plan he'd been working for over two years to catch those corrupted bastards who called themselves protector of the law.

The plan was already in motion. He knew it wouldn't take long to get Sarah back but he had no idea what those men would do to her during that time.

Rob walked into the living room where every Murray was sitting anxiously. Sachicko was huddled in a single sofa with her knees to her chest and her head between them. Her hands were firmly covering her ears as she rocked back and forth mumbling constantly in Japanese. Leanne was trying desperately to comfort the little girl but her words didn't seem to reach Sunny's ears. Even though the stars were out and the moon was shining in its full glory, tonight was a solemn night.

With a sigh, Rob fell to his knees before the traumatized girl and gently removed her hands from her ears. Sunny's little head came up an d revealed her puffy red eyes.

"Gomena'sai" Sunny cried "Gomena'sai.Watashi mo imi suru monode wa arimasendeshita"

"It's not your fault Sunny" Rob said in a delicate voice. "Listen to me. Everything is going to be alright. I promise you, we will get her back soon"

"They're going to kill her. it's all my fault. They're going to kill her" Sunny said through her tears.

"Listen Sunny" Rob said a little louder and Sunny stopped crying and looked at him. "I have an inside man. I contacted him and he's going to take of Sarah. He'll keep her alive and as unhurt as he can manage until we get there. I already called the S.W.A.T. unit. I'm waiting for a warrant for their arrest which should come within the next few hours and then I have the green light to get those bastards after all this time. Please trust me, just this once"

"You can get her back?" Sunny asked. Her eyes held a tiny piece of hope.

"I can and I will" Rob said as he swiped her tears off her cheeks. Getting up from the ground, he kissed Sunny's head as she returned to her rocking. Rob walked into the kitchen where Leanne and Dean were waiting restlessly. Ben and Carly stayed with Sunny.

"What's happening detective McNealy?" Leanne asked softly as she sipped her black coffee.

Rob pondered on how to explain. Where was he to begin?

"Well" he started "It's really unsurprising when I say that the police force is far from being safe from corruption. Hell, it's one of the worst working jobs that is. There is a group of officers who are deep into the drug and weapon trades. they are in contact with the gangs and illegal transportation. For them, it's a win, win situation. They protect the identities of the gangs and in return they get a good cut from the winnings"

"Everyone knows that already" Dean snapped "What does this have to do with Sarah?"

"Dean, please" Leanne whispered when she stroke his arm to sooth him.

"One of the hardest thing to do for a corrupt cop is to stay hidden" Rob continued "To stay off the radar, this specific group would find people with a criminal record and blackmail them into doing the transfers. Like that, the corrupt cops are never caught in action and it is the person t that has a criminal record who does"

"That's horrible. She must have been less than fifteen" Leanne whispered, dreading the thought of Sarah being forced as a drug dealer.

"Thirteen in fact but that's not the worst. Their leader, Zach, which I know his identity but never manage to pin him down, is a smart son of a bitch. He finds files on younger generations as they are more naive and easier to control. Give them money, a bit of care, adrenaline and they're yours forever. These children usually have no family, relatives or homes to go to. It makes it easier to discharge them if ever they bump into trouble. Also, if those who were blackmailed turned to the law, their criminal records gave them no say or credibility against high standing officers"