Chapter 13

The next day, during lunch break, Sarah and Nim were sitting in the cafeteria with a paper in front of them playing an art game. The goal of the game consisted of one person drawing something on a blank paper then his or her partner would continue the drawing by adding something. Sarah and Nim had two distinct drawing technics which, in the end, gave interesting results.

"Let me understand" Nim said as he took a bite of his sandwich "You decided that it was a good idea to invite your tormentor to jump in an ice river with you so she would stop tormenting you?"

"It worked didn't it?" Sarah said. "No one has bothered me since this morning"

"It's the first day Sarah" Nim replied "Don't get too cocky" Sarah gave the paper to her friend and he started moving his pencil professionally.

"I'm never too cocky"

Nim snorted "Cuando los cerdos tienen alas"

"I speak Japanese, Nimrod, not Spanish"

"But Spanish is so similar to English and French. It's even in the same family as French" he argued. "And please don't call me Nimrod"

"So? I belong in the same family as my dad and I don't know him" Sarah said as a matter of fact. Nim sighed. He knew not to argue with Sarah because she always had the last word. "Beside, when you live with someone who's dying to teach you their native tongue, it gets hard not to know the language"

"Maybe I should teach you Spanish and you help me with my French" Nim asked hopefully.

"Sounds like a plan" Sarah said dismissively. She had spotted Sunny coming in the cafeteria. "Sunny" she yelled.

The little Japanese girl turned her attention from her new friends and grinned happily. She jogged away from the door with Ben following closely and met Sarah with a hug.

"Hey girl" Sarah said "Hi Ben"

"Hey Sarah" Ben replied with a smile.

"Ohayo" Sunny greeted her sister. "Ohayo Nim-san"

"Hola Chiquita" Nim replied making Sunny giggle.

"Do you want to do anything this afternoon, just you and me?" Sarah asked in Japanese. She was still learning the language and knew she had a horrible accent "Since we moved here we haven't been spending much time together"

"Onee-san" Sunny said with laughter. She hugged her sister again and nodded vigorously. "I would love too. I'm sorry we didn't do much. It's all my fault, but I will make it up to you"

"It's not your fault Sunny Girl" Sarah said lovingly. She patted Sunny's shoulder, not wanting to embarrass her in front of her friends by stroking her cheek. "But, it's a date"

"It's so cool hearing you guys speak Japanese together" Ben breathed in awe.

Sunny agreed and left with her friends. It was funny how both girls were learning to become independent from each other. For three years, Sarah and Sunny had been extremely dependent of each other. Everything one did, it affected the other. Every action made had an impact on how they lived during that moment. Whether or not they ate that day or whether or not they had to sleep on the streets. Granted, sometimes Sunny preferred to sleep on a park bench than some of the homes she was force to live in.

Since the girls started to live with the Murray's, they had to learn to take care of themselves and that meant to learn to spend time away from each other. It was still a very difficult task for both Sarah and Sunny to do so since they still live together and slept in the same room most nights.