Chapter 11: Never Again

PAULENE

"Dearie, me and Dad have to go ahead now. I have to meet important clients. Dad needs to be early for work too. You ask Krista to drive you to school on her way to work, okay?"

" 'kay, Mom."

Krista and I still haven't talked about last night. I know she wants an explanation. After what she did for me last night, I think it's just right for me to tell her.

I made my way to my favorite appliance in the kitchen-- the coffee maker. Good that it seems like no one made coffee yet. I want to make one for Krista.

If there's one thing that everyone in this family loves, more than each other, it would be coffee.

I can drink up to 5 cups of coffee daily. Gastritis is not new to us. How fun.

I filled the carafe with water enough for 2 cups of coffee. I then poured the water from the carafe into a compartment behind the filter basket. After carefully putting the coffee filter and the coffee ground, I turned the coffee maker on for brewing.

I look at the kitchen wall clock. I still have about an hour.

I did a few stretching exercises. I'm glad I didn't get a hangover or anything from last night and I especially hate thinking about how I acted. My iPhone is still working but the cracks make it hard for me to use it. I don't know where I'll get the money to buy a new one in case my parents won't get me one.

I should never let Josh affect me in any way again. I might have said this before, but this time, it's real.

I'm better than this.

Coffee's done. Mhmm. It smells so good. I poured some into my coffee mug and into Krista's. We had these mugs since we were kids.

We painted our names on it. I also painted Pikachu on mine. Krista painted hearts all over hers and Pikachu, during my childhood days, was the symbol for cool.

I saw Krista sitting at the bench of our front porch with her Macbook on her lap. She landed a job at an advertising company. She's lucky to find employment in such a short time.

That's how we are as a family, we stick together. Dad got assigned here in Miami. Mom, who was a lawyer, asked her college friend here if she can work in her law firm while getting her license to practice here. It's also a great coincidence that I just graduated from high school and Krista just finished her Marketing Management degree.

I think it's really for the best. If I was still in Canada, I'd still be with Josh. I hate him.

"Coffee?" I handed Krista's mug to her.

"Mhhhmm! Just what I needed!" She took a sip before saying something again, "I totally forgot that I had to report something to my boss today."

"You sure know what your priorities are." I chuckled.

"Of course I know... Horace!" She said grinning.

"Don't tell me you've fallen for a guy you just met yesterday."

"I met him a few years ago, right?"

"Yeah right. Perfect excuse to make out with him the first time you meet personally." I roll my eyes.

"Oh you don't know what internet could let you do. Trust me it wasn't out first." She let out a laugh.

"Ugh! Stop."

I always liked the sound of her laughter. Krista had always been the charming one, the sunny one. Her smile just makes you want to smile too.

"Uhh. By the way, Kris, about last night..."

"Josh?"

"You knew?" I asked her.

She stopped typing and looked at me in the eye.

"I figured. Pau, you don't deserve an asshole."

"I know."

"And, Pau, I don't want you to give up on love, either," She said as she turned her gaze back to what she is typing.

Sadly, I guess, it's what I have to do, though.

"Uhm, Krista, Mom told me to ask you to drive me to school on your way to work."

"I know. Now, finish your coffee, eat something, and get ready or we'll both be late."

I ate a slice of wheat bread on the table and then quickly headed to the shower to take a bath and brush my teeth.

I chose to wear a loose off-shoulder top, skinny jeans, and sandals-- suits my mood.

"Paulene! Come down now!"

"Coming!"

I sprayed a scent of raspberry all over my body.

I look at the mirror and forced a smile.

I know it may be a little too late, but, this time, I'm standing on my own and I'll be standing strong.

I hurried downstairs, locked the front door after I got out, and ran towards Krista's car which is now honking.

"Seat belt," She says and I roll my eyes at her as I obeyed.

--

Thanks for reading up to this point! :)

This chapter is dedicated to Xxbasketballgirl21for the wonderful comments! I'm actually excited to write the next chapters and dedicate them to readers and commenters! Keep the love coming! ;) It gives me inspiration! <3

The next chapter will be at the university. Hello again, Franz and Ashton! I hope you're excited.