Chapter 22: Paulene Over Space Cakes

ASHTON

James, Eric, and Horace are at the kitchen baking- more like, experimenting. 

I've been staring at my phone for I don't know how long anymore. 

Yes!

A text from Paulene!

I sat up straight from my slouching. 

"hey ash. thanks! im not sure if ill pass tho. fingers crossed."

I quickly replied, "ull do fine! im sure! :D so where to now?"

I'm tensed. I don't know why.

"idk. ill just prolly go home? next class is still at 1330. hbu?"

I grinned.

When you see an opportunity, grab it!

"how about we celebrate coz u just had your first college quiz? ice cream?" I sent her the text.

Please say yes. You know you love ice cream. Everybody loves ice cream. You won't be able to resist the idea.

"sounds good! but where? :O "

I let out a howl. 

"Wooooooooohhhhhhh!"

"Hey guys! I gotta go. Sorry!" I called out to them.

James quickly ran to the living room. 

"What the fuck, Ashton? Why?! We haven't even started yet!"

"This is more important. Sorry," I said as I gave him one of those man hugs and walked out the door. 

FRANZ

The 50-item quiz is not difficult at all. I'm sure I'll get an A.

Studying all night paid off. I'm excited to see my score and let Paulene know that I'm a man of intellect.

I may not be a rock star, but, I'm a potential statesman. 

She's taking too long. 

I sit at one of the steps of the stairs in front of the lecture hall while waiting for Paulene so I can ask her for a second brunch date. 

Maybe we'll have some pasta this time.

I kind of feel excited at the thought. I really like her company.

We can listen to more Radiohead on our way, too. 

That's it! I'll make a playlist now while waiting.

Hmm. New Radicals and Radiohead album added. She said she liked Pulp, so we'll add Babies to the list. Bittersweet Symphony by The Verve. Should I add Third Eye Blind? Never Let You Go is awesome. I hope she listens to Weezer too. There. Saved.

I look up and see Paulene leaving the hall mindlessly while busying herself with her phone.

"Oh! Hey! Pau!" I quickly rose and ran to her.

"Uhm. Hi, Franz! Awweee. I really hope I passed. You finished early! Did you find it easy?"

"It was okay. I didn't really study, so, I don't know. I just hope my stock knowledge was enough. Hoping for luck too!" I said with a smile.

"Me too. Well, see you around!" She said as she turned her back on me.

"Uh.. wait!" I reached to touch her shoulder and jerked my hand away. 

She turned around to face me.

"I.. uhh.. I was.. I was.. uhh.. thinking if w-we could go out for early l-lunch?" I stammered.

Fuck. Why am I getting tongue tied?

Get a grip, Franz. 

"Uhm. I'm sorry, Franz. I have to go somewhere else," She said with a sorry look on her face.

Rejection.

I hate it.

I loath it.

Why am I always rejected by girls I want to reach out to?

Tiffany and now Paulene.

"Oh. Okay. I forgot I have somewhere else to go too. Well, see you tomorrow? Political Science class?" 

"Sure. Sorry, Franz. Take care!" She then gave me a really sweet smile that made my knees go weak. 

PAULENE

Here I am at the school cafeteria, waiting for Ashton. 

Ice cream with him. 

I feel my cheeks burning again.

I remember our chat.

I remember the song. It Girl...

I should really download it. But, I want his version! I don't want to hear any other version.

Would it be wrong to ask him to record it for me? 

Are you crazy, Paulene? Who are you? His girlfriend?!

Paulene, just friends. Remember Josh. Don't let any other guy make you feel that way ever again. Focus on your bigger goals such as getting in to Law School. 

"Sorry, did I make you wait too long?" A familiar voice asked.

Ashton.

I feel kind of awkward. Guess being comfortable in chat and text is easier than personal and up fucking close. So close that I could smell his aftershave. My hormones are now on an overdrive. 

"Let's go?" He asked.

I can't stop looking at his deep, blue eyes. 

"Oh. Uhh. Sure."

FRANZ

What am I going to do with my free cut?

I actually have nowhere to go.

Guess I'll just have to eat at the cafeteria. I hope I can see some friends there.

Is that..

Paulene with Ashton?

I clenched my hand into a tight fist. 

There you go again, Ashton.

--

This chapter is dedicated to Cinnamorollic! Hello there! ;) Thanks for the read, comments, and votes! :) I hope this story keeps you entertained! <3

2k reads in less than 2 weeks! I could not thank you enough, guys! Thank you so much for the love and support. :') I am really inspired to complete this story. I hope you continue to support me!

Next chapter-- hmmm. What ice cream flavor best represents Paulene? How about Ashton? Comment or PM me! ;)